New at this with NO experience (career change)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachme2, Jun 7, 2007.

1. teachme2

teachme2 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

I just wanted some advice as to how you go about answering interview questions if you are new at teaching and making a career change.

Do you come up with your own plan and classroom techniques based on what you find online?

On interviews...How do you answer the questions that pertain to previous experience?

Should I be completely upfront and tell them I have absolutely NO experience, but try to convince them that they should hire ME?

UGGHHHHHHHH.....so stressed over this....but I really want it!

3. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 7, 2007

You say you are making a career change - from what and to what area of education?

4. teachme2

teachme2 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

I have been in Administrative office work for the last 15 years....tired of my commute and excited about a new change...Love being around kids...

I am qualified to teach EC-4 and possibly Special Ed. (taking that test next week)...

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 7, 2007

Do you have children? Raising children can be used as experience if you word it correctly. How about tutoring while looking for a position - again, it puts you in direct contact with kids.

6. teachme2

teachme2 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

Yes I have a 5 yr old daughter...I don't know how I would even go about tutoring...I HAVE to work full time in order to contribute to the income, so I am just going to have to transition into teaching and keep a constant paycheck until that happens...

Thanks for the info....I will certainly try to use my child rearing experience during the interview...I guess I just assumed that that was a given and they wanted classroom experience...

Have a good night...