New 6th Grade English Teacher

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by bigcat, Jun 24, 2007.

1. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

Hi all. I will be teaching 6th grade English/Lang.Arts this year. This is my 3rd year teaching. I taught 3rd,4th,5th grade reading last year to students needing extra instruction and really enjoyed it. I'm a little nervous about 6th grade......although I think I will end up really liking the grade level and the school. However, I need advice....on everything...heehe. Are there any good reference books for that grade level? How do I start the school year out? What are good sponge activities for 6th grade? I know I have left this wide open...but I do want to thank you for any tips and advice you may send my way.

Thanks

3. Ally

Ally Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

6th Grade

I'm sure that you already to this, but...
    Teach Discipline, Procedures, and Routines thoroughly from the get go. Check out Harry Wong's book. Good review and refresher!!! They are so completely different. For me they were anyway. I taught primarily third and fourth up until this last year. They will really test you. Find out now what curriculum they use. See if you can get the information to go over now so that you will be better prepared when school begins. Also, see if you can talk to the others on your new team this summer (plan a get together or get a phone number) to give you a heads up on how they teach ELA. What resources and materials they already use. Some are open to new ideas and suggestions. Some are not. Go check out the teacher's store, too. Hope I helped. Good luck to you!

4. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

6th grade

Thanks Alley. That was a quick response. I do have a question to add to my original post.......how do you handle discipline? In lower elementary i used cards to be pulled when an offense was made. Do you do that in middle school? Do any of you have any examples of how you handle it in your classrooms? I'm just not sure since I'm not in a self-contained classroom.
    Again, thanks for everything.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 24, 2007

Have you put any thought into how you are going to grade?

6. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

Not much. I thought that I won't give a grade for the homework I give....unless it's a project and possibly has a rubric. Mainly grades will be given for classwork and ,of course, tests. Do you have any tips on grading for me?

7. aceighthgrade

aceighthgrade Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

I recommend Caught'ya Again: More Grammar with a Giggle. It is a book filled with sponge activities on capitalization, punctutation, and vocabulary. Each day, the students correct sentences. These sentences are a part of a story. It has 100 "caught'ya" sentences for your grade level. The author is Jane Bell Kiester.

8. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

Thanks....and if anyone else has any tips on dealing with 6th graders I really would appreciate anything you have to offer. What do you do with classes that you have once a day?