NEW 5th grade teacher!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Miss Educator, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Miss Educator

Miss Educator Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Hi,

I am new to the board and a new teacher as well. I will be teaching 5th grade this Fall. I am nervous, excited, scared about this new opportunity. I would greatly appreciate any advice/tips on how to handle 5th graders, or any advice that you think would be useful for me so that I am able to have a successful/productive first year of teaching. Thanks so much:love:

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

Hey Miss Educator! Welcome and congratulations!

There are quite a few posts on the board regarding 5th grade! There seems to be a large number of us teaching 5th in the fall! Browse around and / or do a search in the box at the top of the page and you'll find all kinds of things for 5th! Good luck and happy teaching! :D

4. BookWorm6

BookWorm6 Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Hello Miss Educator! I was in the same position last year! This will be my second year in fifth grade....I LOVE IT! When I first found out that I had fifth graders I was very nervous, scared, etc. Most of my experiences had been in primary so it was a huge shocker for me to be assigned to fifth. Right away I figured out that fifth graders are "little kids" in bigger bodies. They can be a bit mouthy at times, and are just starting to develop a sense of humor. Now, I love fifth graders and everything about it. I have booklists, games, bulletin board ideas, websites, etc. if you'd like. Best of luck! You'll do great!!!

5. Miss Educator

Miss Educator Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Thanks for your quick responses. I will take any ideas I can get (i.e bulletin boards, websites....) Any information is greatly appreciated.

6. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Welcome! Check out the thread Hello from California. Ottermom posts a fantastic list of websites you may want to check out.

7. BookWorm6

BookWorm6 Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Chasing Redbird
    by Sharon Creech
    Dear Mr. Henshaw
    by Beverly Cleary, Paul O. Zelinsky (illus.)
    Frindle
    by Andrew Clements, Brian Selznick (illus.)
    From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
    by E. L. Konigsburg
    In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson
    by Bette Bao Lord, Marc Simont (illus.)
    Island of the Blue Dolphins
    by Scott O'Dell
    Mick Harte Was Here
    by Barbara Park
    My Daniel
    by Pam Conrad
    Number the Stars
    by Lois Lowry
    Shiloh
    by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
    Wait Till Helen Comes, A Ghost Story
    by Mary Downing Hahn
    Walk Two Moons
    by Sharon Creech
    Bud, Not Buddy
    by Christopher Paul Curtis
    The Door in the Wall
    by Marguerite de Angeli
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
    by Robert C. O'Brien
    The Westing Game
    by Ellen Raskin
    Esperanza Rising
    by Pam Munoz Ryan

these were some of our favorite books this year...the students really enjoyed them.

I also just purchased a book by mailbox called 500 Classroom Tips, and it has many great ideas....

A few bulletin boards we really enjoyed this year were:

"Taking Fifth Grade By Storm"-the students wrote their names and goals for the year on a cloud and on the back they wrote three ways to achieve their goals.

"Here's How Our Year Will Shape Up"-I wrote down unit or curriculum topics, such as "Civil War" in various shapes that were grouped by subject. This was great for open house-the parents seemed to like knowing what we were covering this year.

"A Slice of Our Favorite Books"-students quoted sections of their favorite books on a watermelon cut-out. They glued it on a paper plate, which I stapled to a large picnic blanket (plastic works best). Other students from different classrooms liked to peak at the selections. It was a great way to include passages from students' favorite books.

"Flip-Flop Farewell"-the students wrote their favorite memories on a flip-flop, which I glued to a beach scene. These will be left up for next year's class to view.

"Got Milk?"-the students drank milkshakes and I took pictures of them with a milk mustache. We were working on nutrition and the human body, and creative writing. The students learned the elements of creating an advertisement (using strong adjectives) and included nutrition information they learned in science. This was a fun project/bulletin board to make and the kids loved the milkshakes.

Hope this helps!!! There are so many good resources out there from mailbox...it was very helpful during my first year.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2007

Wow, Bookworm, that is one incredible post! Thank you so much! I truly hope that there was someone like you for you to lean on last year!

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

Fifth graders like making decisions. I try to give them as many choices as reasonable so that they will be more likely to go along with the bigger ones I have to make. For example: Do you want to do the evens or odds? Science before or after lunch? vote which novel I should read alound next (i give two choices). Print or use cursive? Just make sure the choices you give are acceptable to you (and school policy) no matter what the outcome is. And don't ever use this method to try and manipulate them (Would you like to do this in cursive or earn a zero?) They'll choose the one you don't like just to prove they can. Well, some of them will.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2007

Runsw/scissors: That is exactly how I raised my daughter! She was adhd, and would quickly get overloaded if she had too many options, so I would offer her two fair and equitable options, and she could generally handle that well!

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 18, 2007

I've learned the hard way that unless some choices are given, certain kids will do anything to show me that I "can't make them". This keeps things relatively peaceful in my room most days.

12. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I'm starting my second year teaching 5th grade and I just love it! I was really nervous when I got my job because they were so big (highest I ever wanted to go was 4th), but now I don't ever want to leave it. They're so much fun and love anything they think they're not learning from. They also love thinking they get a say in what's going on in class. My absolute favorite activity we did was during the last 2 weeks of school for writing we did "ABC Survival Guides for 5th Grade" and they each made books we left in their desks for the kids sitting in their desks next year. They turned out great. Good luck!

13. keelay6

keelay6 Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

Hi could you send me some bulletin board ideas please? i am a new 5th grade teacher/1st year teacher and need help organizing my classroom....homework folders...setting up....first week ideas..let me know anything you can..thank you

14. Mrs. Long

Mrs. Long New Member

Jul 27, 2007

Thanks, BookWorm6!!! As a new teacher, I sincerely appreciate your lengthy post with the book list and project/bulletin board ideas!!!! Thank you!

Kristin

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

I like useful bulletin boards, like lists of transition words to use in writing, or photographs of the Civil War with captions under them that help explain differences between the two regions.