New 5th Grade Teacher Seeking ANY suggestions!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Blondie617, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Blondie617

Blondie617 New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Let me begin by saying that I am new to this site but so far, from reading all postings, really think I'll find what I'm looking for here. Seems like a range of suggestions/ideas from all over the country:)

I just accepted a 5th grade teaching position at a school where I interned for a year (in Kindergarten). The school district is a very wonderful one and moreover, the school in which I am working has a wonderful staff and even more awesome students. So, needless to say, the "nervousness," so to speak of starting fresh at a new school really isn't affecting me. WHAT IS, however, affecting me is now the overwhelming feeling of having not a clue where to begin. I have all these great ideas of how I want my classroom to run, what I need to do to make it happen, etc., but for some reason I feel totally overwhelmed right now! :eek:

If anyone has any suggestions ... maybe a timeline guide of sorts ... as to what the focuses should be at THIS moment, let me know!!! I'm sure once I meet with the principal and my grade level team that things will fall into place but right now I just feel like I have no idea what I'm doing - is that natural?? Even though I KNOW I have an idea - somewhere in my mind - of what I need to do? Make sense?

3. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I think the first thing you need to do is decide on what kind of procedures you're going to use in the classroom. This includes anything from going to the restroom to sharpening pencils. Make sure you teach these routines on the first day of school and stick with them.

Another thing to decide is your classroom management plan. What are your classroom rules? What are the consequences? What kind of reward system will you use? This is another item you will want to address on the very first day. The students need to know your expectations.

I'm sure you'll do great! It's wonderful that you're able to teach in a familiar school. Congratulations and good luck!

4. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I also just got the news that I was hired as a fifth grade teacher and I am so nervous especially that last year I was a preschool teacher. So maybe we can share advice with each other?

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 24, 2007

There are a lot of threads on here about teaching 5th grade. Do a search, and you should find tons of information.

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 24, 2007

It seems as if some changes were made while I slept. You don't even have to do a search, this site now has grade specific information. Just when you thought they couldn't get any better:)

7. mrsjam525

mrsjam525 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I found out I will be teaching 5th grade today as well. My principal reminded me that the state social studies exam is in Nov. She said that I should start looking at past test as a good place to start my lessons in Sept. I guess to refresh the students on the topics .