New 5th grade teacher needs get to know you ideas.

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by rparker, Jul 10, 2010.

1. rparker

rparker Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

This will be my 1st year teaching and I'm trying to come up with some activities that will help me get to know my students. This is the first year that my school will be departmentalized and the students will be a mixture from the entire district. I want to have some activities prepared in order to help the students become acquainted with one another.

These students will be changing classes. I will teach 2 different groups language and social studies and I will teach 1 group reading. I need an idea that is not too time consuming since my time will be limited with each group.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.:thanks:

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

I love 2 truths and a lie, and so do the kids! It's very easy. Give each student an index card. They write 2 truths and a lie (but in any order they choose.) Throughout the first week I read a few a day and we try to guess the lie. It's fun, but model it first, some kids struggle with making their lies hard to guess.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

Ooooh, I have another one I did last year - so fun! It's not really a get-to-know-you, but more of a teambuilding activity.

Put kids into groups of 4.

1 person has scissors
    1 person has roll of masking/scotch tape
    2 kids are "loopers"

The rules:
    NO talking
    Everyone can only use their non-dominant hand

For about 5 minutes, the kids compete to see how many paper chains they can make, one handed and silent. I used old newspapers I cut into i inch strips, about 6 inches long.

5. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

http://www.lauracandler.com/
    Laura Candler has an amazing site...be sure to check out her File Cabinet for lots of great freebies AND sign up for her monthly newsletter. :)

Laura Candler has a neat cooperative learning get-to-know-you activity on her site that I used last year, and it worked really well. I was even able to find plastic microphones to use from the Dollar Store in their party favor section. :) Either the Team Talk or Team Interview activities work. Here's the link:

http://www.lauracandler.com/strategies/caringclass.php

http://www.icebreakers.ws/get-to-know-you

One thing I always do is to give each student an index card on which they are to write 5 questions they have about my class, how things are done, and what to expect for the year. Then, I collect them, read then aloud, and answer them. I have found it a good way to go over all those first day rules and proceedures, etc., and it seems to put the students more at ease...gives them some ownership in what we discuss. Last year, one of the questions was "When does school get out?" I could only laugh and explain to a certain young man that was not the way to get into a teacher's good graces on the first day of school. :) The whole class laughed, and it really set the tone for the rest of the year. Needless to say, that young man was my resident jokester for the whole year. :)

PS You are going to love 5th grade AND 5th graders!! :love:

6. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 11, 2010

Similar to the 2 truths and 1 lie, I do a writing activity called an Introduction Poem. It's 10 lines in length with the first and last lines being the same: My name is <insert name here>. In between, students come up with four true facts about themselves and four lies and scatter them throughout. I try to encourage them to use unique clues so that the audience is fooled by them. Once published, we take turns sharing and guessing what the truths and lies are.

Another thing I've done, usually on the first day of school, is a student bingo game. Early in the day, give each student an index card and ask them to write their name and an interesting fact about his/herself. Again, encourage something unique to the person, not just "I play soccer" or "my favourite colour is...". Anyway, I collect them and later in the day, I give each student a blank bingo sheet (just make a grid using Word) which they fill with their classmates' names (it helps to have names on the chalkboard or chart paper in advance). Then, I shuffle the index cards, read a clue aloud and ask the class - in three guesses only - who that person might be. Students who have that name on their card place a bingo chip on that spot and we play until either a line is scored or a card is filled...whatever rules you want to set up. Sometimes the clues create some interesting discussion too.

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 11, 2010

Love these ideas! I have a scavenger hunt game where students need to go around the room and try to get as many different people's names on the sheet as possible. It has things like I like to sing, I like to lead the class, I like sports, etc... The goal is to get them and you mingling around the room and getting to know each other. :D

8. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

These are great ideas! I'm in the same boat as you rparker! I did Two Truths and a Lie with new college freshman during their orientations and they all loved it....I'm sure it works fine with 5th graders too!

9. rparker

rparker Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

Thanks for all the tips. I'm so glad that I found this site. What better place to get helpful tips than from those who teach the same grade level as me. Thanks again. Have a great year!!!!

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

I begin every year telling them to get out a sheet of paper and number it to 15- they are having their first quiz!

Then, I pull up questions about me (my favorite color, animal, etc...). The student who gets the most right gets a prize. It lets them know a bit about me and scares them to death!! They really think they are going to have a quiz first thing! :lol:

I have also passed around toilet paper and for every square they rip off, they have to tell me something special about them.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2010

12. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

Hahahaha giraffee! :lol:

13. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

I have done this, too! Probably got the idea from here! :) I just tell them take as much as you think you will need. Some wise guys take A LOT....the look on their faces when they realize they have to tell that many things about themselves is priceless!! :)

Wonderful ideas, everyone! :)

14. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 11, 2010

Love these! I really like the quiz idea b-c I will be new this year so I can really get them! :p

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

I had a teacher do it when I was in school. Luckily, I only took 2 squares!!

Last year, I had a kid with 35 squares!! It took him all week to come up with his 35 things!!!
    If I do it this year, I think I am going to have them write the things down and then we share. I am hoping to get less "Ummmmmm.... I have a sister?" answers.

16. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

That's a great idea. I am like that, too...I need time to think things through. :)

17. rparker

rparker Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

Thanks for the tip giraffe326, I'll definitely use this to help my students get familiar with me. The idea of a first day quiz will definitely get their attention. I love it!!!!

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

When I taught fifth grade, I had kids write three interesting things about themselves that no one might know. Then, they crumpled into a "snowball" and we had a snowball fight!!!!

After a minute or so, I said stop, and they had to find a snowball near to them and pick it up. Everyone had to have a snowball. If they pick up their own, that's okay! (when I did this two years ago, one of the snowballs disappeared and we never could find it :p)

Then, we stood around the room in a circle and each kid had to read the three descriptions and we all had to guess who it was.

This was a LOT of fun and very easy. :)

19. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

What a fun idea...cool!! :)

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

I like that, Peachy! I may have to try that instead of the TP this year. I am getting to the point where I am getting several siblings of kiddos I already had each year.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

Some other things I have done in the past:

Went to the gym and sat in a big circle. We threw a ball of yarn to one another saying our name and one thing about ourselves. Of course, you held onto the string before you threw it! So, at the end it is a giant web.

I cut puzzle pieces out of a poster board (one for each student plus me). Their homework given at meet-the-teacher night was to decorate it to represent them and bring it to school on the first day. Then, they had to assemble it. I then stapled it onto the BB outside of my room. A few problems with this one- I was given 3 students between back to school night and the first day of school! I cut my piece up smaller, but it was really not fair that the new students got a tiny piece. And, it took them FOREVER to put it together!