New 5th grade Social Studies Teacher

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by crayoncaper, Jun 11, 2008.

1. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

I received a job teaching 5th grade social studies. I was wondering what ideas other people have or have used?

3. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

Congrats on your new job! What type of information are you looking for exactly?

4. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

A lot of my students think Social Studies is boring so to make it more interesting to them I incorporate technology including WebQuests, PowerPoints, and United Streaming videos as well as individual and group projects. We are definitely going to take a closer look at the election process this year and possible hold an election of our own.

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 11, 2008

I do the same things as peachieteachie (cool name btw). My students always end up loving ss. They did fabulous this year on the state test. Just about all of them exceeded expectation. I guess it helps that I have a degree in history. SS is the greatest.:2up:

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 12, 2008

I use a wonderful newspaper (in 5th) which is available for specific grade levels. The kids like it because it is different from textbooks and reference books. I like it because the articles are short enough, yet detailed enough, to get across the facts in manageable segments. They seem to get the connections between events over time better with this format. A teacher's guide, test booklet, activity masters are included. It's cheap, too.
    http://www.studiesweekly.com/

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 12, 2008

Upsadaisy - could you give an example of how you use these in class? I keep toying with the idea of getting a subscription.

8. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 12, 2008

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I'm thinking that this year my students are going to work on creating an American History museum throughout the year and then have a museum night where family and friends can come and see what they've learned throughout the year. I haven't thought through all the specifics, but basically when we finish each unit, every student will be responsible for putting at least one artifact in each exhibit.

10. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jun 12, 2008

Upsadaisy,
    I have also seen the newspapers you use and receive a free sample now and then. I've wondered how the kids would keep them organized so we could go back when new topics are introduced. They are so big. I use Time for Kids now and have the kids keep them in a three ring binder. I should check on the price difference, too. My classroom budget is gone after ordering TFK.

11. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 12, 2008

I don't know about your state, but here they organize the topics according our standards, and they usually send them when we are dealing with that topic. Everything we are dealing with in that unit is covered in the magazine. I was thinking about TFK too. I've never used them. Are they really good?

12. crayoncaper

crayoncaper Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Thanks!

Wow, you guys have had some AMAZING ideas. I appreciate all the input!!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 13, 2008

I use the newspapers in place of the text. The kids keep them at the end of the week since they write on them. I keep the leftovers in a file box.

The newspapers fold in half - they come that way - so they are easy to keep in folders in their desks.

Yes, they come in order by topics for your grade and state. I love them.