New 4th Grade Teacher!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by juc162, Jun 21, 2007.

1. juc162

juc162 Companion

Jun 21, 2007

Hi everyone! I just got hired as a new 4th grade teacher at a public charter school in DC. I've seen posts about teachers planning already and am wondering what I can do to get started! Should I be planning already? I am very excited and would appreciate any suggestions! :)

3. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

HI and Congratulations, I also am just starting to teach 4th grade. I recently bought the much acclaimed and highly recommended book, "The First Days of School", by Harry Wong. It is fabulous and I would also recommend you to buy it ASAP.
    I haven't put it down and I am taking notes and re-reading it again.
    Good luck and this forum is the best. I have received so much good advice for myself.
    Have a great and successful year!

4. bowler

bowler Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Congrats!! I am getting ready for my 2nd year of teaching (also second in 4th) and you are going to have so much fun. Try to get your hands on teachers edition of books and start looking through them. You will get so many ideas. See if you can get ahold of your mentor teacher (if you have one). Most of all enjoy the rest of your vacation!!

5. dlstringer

dlstringer Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Please read Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones! I love this book. I have Wong, but I prefer Fred Jones.

6. juc162

juc162 Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Thank you for all your advice! I have been attending new teacher training workshops, learning more about the responsive classroom, and trying to get some things together for the upcoming school year. I haven't gotten ahold of any books or anything yet. Its been quite hectic but I'm really excited!

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

Hi all,
    Do you have any experience teaching other grades or is this your first one? I am jumping from pre-K to fourth so I expect many changes and challenges!!

8. juc162

juc162 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

This is my first one. However, I did my student teaching in a 4th grade classroom for half a year so I at least know what to expect. 4th grade is nice because the students are much more independent but still look up to you as a teacher :)

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

That sounds good. I think I will like 4th graders!