New 3rd teacher

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 23, 2010

I student taught in 3rd, so I'm not completely in the dark, but I taught 2nd semester, so I don't know what the beginning of the year is like. I'm moving down from 5th, and I worry I'll be too hard on them :lol:

What does first-month Math and spelling look like? Is there a novel you begin with the kids love?

3. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

Hey there!

I am also going to new new to third this year! :) :)

I have had several suggest that I read a "Judy Moody" book at the start of the year but I would love other suggestions as well!

I got a hold of my math series this week... first month math looks like a LOT of place value review, which is great. I taught 2nd grade for the past two years and teh children do need lots of reinforcement with that!

4. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

The curriculum is probably different depending on your state.

5. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I'm in the same boat Pisces!! I taught 5th last year and I'm moving down to 3rd this year :)

6. wvteach

wvteach Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

I am also new to third grade. Hopefully, we will be able to help each other throughout this year. I think we will have a great year!!!

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

My kids love Roald Dahl books. I have read James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, The BFG, and The Fantastic Mr. Fox. You do have to "edit" some as you read because sometimes there are bad words.

8. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 23, 2010

This will be my 4th year in 3rd grade and you guys will absolutely love it. If you can go to your state education website and you should be able to find your standards for math/language arts, etc.

I know we start with a review of place value and addition/substraction through 4 digit. Our kids needed a LOT of review on place value.

Enjoy your year and just realize most students live up to what you expect from them. If you expect them to work hard and perform their best then they will more often than not. Third graders still love to please their teacher.

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

Judy Moody is a great series to start with. Third graders like mentioned before love to please their teacher. It's such a fun fun age! ;) Your standards probably vary by your state, we start doing a lot of place value review and reviewing the basics of multiplication and division. We also spend a lot of time practicing writing a paragraph, as some really need that review!

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

I love third. I also start each year with Judy Moody. Math and spelling depend on your curriculum, but like any grade it is a lot of review in September.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 26, 2010

I absolutely feel I made the right decision. I emailed all the teachers to say hello and introduce myself. They all responded how impressed they were I took the initiative to fit in. We're doing lunch soon :) Looks like I'm going to a dysfunctional team to a great one. My heart is sooooo happy...

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2010

I'm so glad to hear it's looking like a good decision, Pisces!!

I read Sideways Stories from Wayside School to start the year. My kids LOVE it, and the short stories are a good way to ease back in to read alouds. I've also read the Ramona book where she's in 3rd grade, and Frindle.

We do lots of addition and subtraction review (with place value) the first couple units in math.

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 27, 2010

I am so glad that the placement is beginning to feel good for you. It's wonderful to be on a good team isn't it :)