New 3rd grade teacher!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissG, Aug 9, 2005.

1. MissG

MissG New Member

Aug 9, 2005

I'm going to be teaching 3rd grade for the first time this year! I was SO EXCITED when I found this site. I have gotten MANY great ideas from lots of different teachers!! It's been GREAT!! One question I have though is what kind of jobs should I post for 3rd graders. I know attendance, lunch count, but what other ones are good for 3rd graders? THANKS!! :D One more thing, what are some important items that need to be in a 3rd grade classroom? Like what kind of posters or other things you have found they enjoy the most? Thank you!!! :angel:

3. Teach4U

Teach4U Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

Congrats on the job! I student taught in third and loved it!!

Some jobs I used were
    *Messenger- delivers notes and such
    *Greeter- welcomed guests and new students
    *Plants- watered plants
    *Energy Saver- turns off lights when we leave the room
    *Helper- erased boards at end of day and passed back papers
    *Attendance and Lunch Count

As far as posters it depends on what you teach during the year. We are told that if you have something hanging or on the wall at the beginning of the year we could keep it up for testing. Big in our schools because of NCLB. We always seemed to make "the list".

*We had cursive alphabet hanging
    *Multiplication charts
    *Parts of speech and parts of a sentence/ paragraph
    *Rules (have them help you make them and then have them sign the poster...like a contract)
    *I always had a quote of the week
    *Anything that goes with a theme you're teaching
    *I also used "The Morning Meeting" book. It is a 10-20 minute community circle that helps get the day off to a good start. Also, helps you get to know the kids.

If you need anything, just let me know. I'm not an expert, but have a few years under my belt. ;)

4. MissG

MissG New Member

Aug 9, 2005

Thank you so much for all your great ideas!! They were a GREAT help!! I was wondering where you get your quotes from. I love that idea and would like to do it, but not sure were to get a lot of good quotes. Also, "The Morning Meeting" book sounds like another great idea. Do you mean a book you create or is it something you buy?

Thanks for everything!!! :angel:

5. Teach4U

Teach4U Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

I just use quotes from famous people or I make something up. They also sell little books that have sayings in them.

"The Morning Meeting Book" is written by Roxann Kriete and Lynn Bechtel. You can buy it for $20 online or at a bookstore. It goes through the whole process.

6. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 9, 2005

Congrats! I teach 3rd grade, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else! It's the best. :) Anyway, these are the jobs I have in my classroom:

Messenger
    Paper passer/collector
    Agenda checker (they have to get these signed every night)
    Computers (turn them off & on)
    Cleaner (walks around the room at end of day & makes sure everything looks nice & no scraps are on the floor)
    Library monitor (keeps the books in the classroom library in order & neat)
    line leader

I think that's about it. Also, my 3rd graders like to have a nice comfy place to read. So I have bought a rug, bean bag chairs, and a small "reading tent". They love it.

Good Luck!!!

[​IMG]