New 3rd Grade Teacher HELP!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by LVTEACH, Oct 8, 2005.

1. LVTEACH

LVTEACH Rookie

Oct 8, 2005

I am a substitute teacher and was just given a long term vacancy (from 10/10 to 12/16) in a third grade class. The teacher that just resigned did not start anything concerning reading at home or in class, other than the standards. I would just like to know if anyone has some ideas of how I can implement this into the class. Such as, how many books to have them read in a week/month? Any reward systems that you use? I am so new at this that Im sure I have the wording wrong but I would really love it if you could let me know what some of you use in your classroom. Thanks!!!!!

3. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Oct 8, 2005

Here's what 5th grade does

I'm not a teacher....yet! My son's 5th grade class is required to read 20 minutes at home every day (including weekends). They have a sheet of paper, the daily reading log, that is to be signed by the parents and returned every day. When the child has completed both the front and the back of the paper they get a gift certificate to Pizza Hut. I know there's a name for this reading program but I can't recall it. Hope this gives some ideas.
    Teri

4. LVTEACH

LVTEACH Rookie

Oct 8, 2005

Thank you for your input!! Believe me anything is helpful. They just threw me into this. With the teacher leaving, it seems like he didn't care much about things, which is sad but not very helpful being this is my first time. Thanks again!!!

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2005

I believe the reading program you are referring to is Book IT.
    In kindergarten I require a total of 200 minutes of at home reading per month. I send home a monthly calendar to keep track of minutes on. The parents just initial and put number of minutes. This is pretty easy to do in a month......but I've seen as little as 100 minutes per month for K. My son in fourth has the same required 20minutes a night of reading every night.

6. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Oct 8, 2005

In class

they have quiet reading time for 10-20 minutes, depending on their schedule, after morning recess. They call it DEAR time! They read a book either from the class library, school library, or home. The book stays in their desks until it's finished. He reads more this year then he ever did before! And he even likes it!

7. LVTEACH

LVTEACH Rookie

Oct 8, 2005

The students do have quiet reading time in class. I just want to give them incentive to read more. I was in a school were the students took test on computers and if they got a certain score they recieved a prize. I know I can't do that because the computers and school isn't doing this. I just need to know what more I could do to have them read more. Like if they do a book report they get a free homework pass or something like that. Just wanted to know what reward systems are in place if you have some in your classrooms.

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 8, 2005

Book Scouts is a simple unique program that I think would work great for you. How about keeping track of how many pages they read? And trying to Read more pages as a student and as a class. And trying to get better each week. The one I saw was reading more pages than the class the year before, which won't work for you. Please e mail me and I will share ideas to help spark your planning and teaching.
    ---- Something for short term that would work for you is get some sticker charts with about 16 small squares in the center. When they read so many pages or maybe one sticker for every book read and when they get the chart full they earn a gumball from the gumball machine (machines are cheap at the Dollar Store. You get gumballs from Dollar Store or Wal Mart right now with Halloween candy.
    -----bookmarks, read with a buddy, sit by a buddy, eat lunch with the teacher, listen to a book on tape, read to the class mascot ---a small stuff toy, receive a pencil, receive a certificate at the end with how many books they read, eraser for the top of their pencil, a small Tooties Roll
    fromt the candy jar. When the class reaches a certain number books or pages they all earn a special treat. Ice Cream Bar, root beer float, something special....

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 8, 2005

Keep a pad of sticky notes in the library area for quick book marks.

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2005

A good idea that I have seen is a photocopied picture of a bookshelf...each time someone finishes a book a writes a "review" in their journal, a book gets colored in. When the class reaches a certain number of books (some try to do 100 books by the 100th day of school), they get a class reward...extra recess, popsicles, movie time, whatever. It might be hard to get that many books in a short term position,but you could modify it to the class and make the goal less books...Good Luck! (And I do the Book It! program through Pizza Hut...the students love free pizza. You can check it out at PizzaHut.com...if the school hasn't signed up for it, I believe they will send you free materials. It is so easy!)