New 2nd grade teacher!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Danny'sNanny, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2009

I was just offered a 2nd grade position at my first-choice school! Wahooo! :D

My mother in law is also moving to 2nd grade this year, so we are very excited to figure it out together (even if we are in different states, I'm sure there will be lots of phone calls) :lol:

I student taught first, and did a practicum in 3rd. But I have only observed a few times in 2nd.

So, what are some of your favorite things about 2nd? What are some great 2nd grade tips and hints?

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO

I am so excited for you! Way to go;)

4. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

first congrats on the job...

some hints, some parents still think they have to do everything for their child-they are very capable of unloading their backpacks and putting up their own homework, etc figure out what you want as your daily routines and procedures and expect them to follow it...model, pratice and reward like a crazy person the first few weeks of school

my first year of teaching i wanted every student to "have a voice" in my classroom...my intention was fine, the reality was if i allowed every student to tell me anything on their mind ( and I did, so they did ) then you have no time to get done the stuff you have to do...so no one told me this as a new teacher, but it's okay to cut a child off and let them know right now is not the time to be sharing this...one workshop i went to said you can give hand signals like a sign language L to show they have something very important to say, but it can wait until later since it has nothing to do with what your working on...

second is a wonderful age...they start to get witty and can understand a play on words, and jokes, etc

they still want to please you so if you are excited about something new, it's easier than higher grades to get them excited also...

5. uclateach2006

uclateach2006 New Member

Jun 10, 2009

Congrats on the new job! I have recently received a job for a second grade class as well. I am very excited but also very nervous at the same time! I just finished my student teaching and this will be my first real teaching position. As soon as I got the job i realized that there are so many things to do. It seems like this website is going to be a great resource for me!

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

I adore 2nd grade. They are so darned cute and their progress throughout the year is amazing! Have fun!

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 11, 2009

Congratulations Danny!! I am very excited for you, but I know nothing about 2nd grade, just saw that you posted here about having a job :)

8. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

I just wanted to say congrats on the job because I have seen you around on the other boards and didn't know if I had congratulated you yet. I'm excited to teach 2nd this year too! Hopefully we will be able to trade ideas from time to time!

9. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

oh! Congrats !!!!!! SECOND GRADERS are totally great and amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Love them :D
    The age is fantastic, they love teachers, they feel motivated by very simple things, they MISS you in case you `re ill,

they greet you with a sweet kiss everyday, they show their emotions, they `re used to habits at school, they begin working quicker and quicker ...

No more words.... simply I`m EXTREMELY HAPPY cause it`s my second year with SECOND FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kISSES AND GOOD LUCK :D

10. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 20, 2009

I know nothing about 2nd grade, but I wanted to wish a successful school year.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 21, 2009

Classroom Procedures!

Second graders are more capable than most people think! Your job, however, is to MODEL, MODEL, MODEL--especially throughout the first couple months of school. Show them the procedures for things such as: getting a sharp pencil, getting a tissue, going to the restroom, getting a drink of water, etc. For example, when one of my students needs a new pencil, s/he will simply hold the pencil in the air (without saying anything) and I will nod my head (which signals that it's okay to grab a new pencil from the "dull" basket). Futhermore, when someone needs a tissue, s/he will raise his/her hand and cover their nose with the other. I'll nod, and that means that they can get their tissue. If someone needs to use the restroom, they put their pinky finger in the air and I'll give them a nod, which means that they can visit the restroom.

In short, I teach lots of hand signals, which eliminates the need for me to talk, talk, talk! Most importantly, though, students know the procedures for doing anything and everything in my classroom. By modeling and teaching classroom procedures in the BEGINNING, you'll have far fewer discipline problems, less classroom interruptions, and an overall better experience.

Best wishes. Second grade is (by far) my most favorite grade to teach! :D

12. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

Congrats! Second grade is such a fun year. I agree with youngteacherguy.... procedures are key. Model a lot in the beginning, by the second half of the year, they automatically did things a lot quicker, which gave me more time to teach. One thing about this age, they like to tattle... ALOT. But second graders by the middle of the year want to be independent, they want to do it without the teacher telling them what to do, which can be nice. Good luck!

13. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

LOVE the signals!!!! Are there others?

14. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

I agree with everything you wrote, but especially the quote above. I already know of one of my parents who plans on walking her son down to the room every day to say goodbye. She still does this with the daughter who was in 3rd last year (didn't have the daughter in 2nd).

She is also a substitute aide at our school and requested me. She's very sensitive, sweet, and opinionated... really watches the teachers (which is fine).

By the way, she's talked to me about "when you get my son next year..." throughout all of last year. How do you politely handle the walking down to the rooms... with this kind of parent?

15. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

By the way CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! What states will you two teach in? Not many schools are hiring in my state.

16. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 10, 2009

Congratulations! It will be fun to compare notes with the MIL!