New 2nd grade teacher books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherspet24, Jun 20, 2005.

1. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Jun 20, 2005

I have been teaching 3rd grade for 6 years. I put in for a transfer to 2nd grade because I was getting bored and needed a change. Does anyone know of any books that would be a "must have" for any 2nd grade teacher. I am excited about the move, but want to get a head start when the sales are going on. Let me know :D

3. divey

divey Companion

Jun 23, 2005

Book needs....

Are you wanting suggestions for books for your students? or for you, as a teacher?

For students: start a collection of Junie B. Jones, Magic Tree House, Amelia Bedelia type books. My kids LOVE them and feel so successful when they are reading the long awaited chapter books.

For yourself: I am reading a book called "Reading with Meaning" which is the lower elementary counterpart to "Strategies that Work". GREAT book to read to help ANY teacher re-evaluate how they are teaching reading to their students.

4. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Jun 23, 2005

Thanks for the book recommendation. Who is the reading book by? There are a lot of reading with meaning books out there.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 23, 2005

If it's the book I'm thinking of it is Reading with Meaning by Debbie Miller, Stenhouse Publishing. It is fantastic. Also, On Solid Ground by Debbie Taberski (spelling?).

6. divey

divey Companion

Jun 29, 2005

Book Title

Yes...it is the "Reading w/ Meaning" book by Debbie Miller.