New 2 year old teacher needs help getting class to listen

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by BeckyDwyer2, Oct 2, 2004.

1. BeckyDwyer2

BeckyDwyer2 Guest

Oct 2, 2004

I am a new teacher to a class of 9 two year olds. They DO NOT LISTEN!!! I need some advice on how to get these kids to listen before I go crazy!!!!!!!! I know you guys have great ideas, so please share!!!!!!!

Becky :eek:

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Oct 3, 2004

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2004

Two year olds are so active, they need lots of large motor activities. I would suggest rocking horses, tumble mats, soft balls, and last but not least, get a refrigerator box and make a little house out of it. Put some soft pillows and baby dolls in it, etc.

5. Jeri Dawn M

Jeri Dawn M Rookie

Oct 4, 2004

Quick Fix

Two-year olds love to have fun. When you need to regain their attention try playing a quick mimic game. For example, if you are in the middle of a lesson and can see that you are losing one or two children, stop and say, "Everyone touch your nose. Everyone touch your ears. Put both hands on your knees." When you can see that everyone is paying attention again, proceed with your lesson. You may also want to end your mimic with "Put your hands in your lap."

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 4, 2004

One little rule of thumb to remember... a 2 year old's attention span will be about 2 minutes long. (A minute per year of their age... that may explain why I could only pay attention 20 minutes in college... lol. now I'm expected to pay attention 31 minutes... lol... well actually longer, but that rule of thumb applies to adults as well! :) )

Lori

7. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Oct 4, 2004

Try singing your directions. Like if you want them to sit and look at books, just come up a little tune and sing it. It doesn't have to rhyme or even sound that good, it's just a different way of getting your point across. I have kindergarten and when I sing my directions- all ears are listening.

8. debbie

debbie Rookie

Oct 14, 2004

not to be overkill but have been going through this site all night and you and I might be teacher kindred spirits so to speak. Same mentality.Nice to meet you. Have a good day tomorrow. RSVP.

9. SleddingSister

SleddingSister Rookie

Oct 24, 2004

use musical instruments to get their attention...such as a rainstick...lol....

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2004

The one thing I have learned with two year olds is there need for constant change in activities. They need structure like every other kid. Learning centers can be done at this age. I do three different centers with my two year olds each day. Each week consists of three of the following: math, science, letter recognition, art, and small motor. Also included is there large motor, circle time in the morning, etc. This schedule has worked great for my kids (I have 5 by myself-all two). It gives them structure, but also gives them the changes they need so they aren't sitting for too long a period and not just playing all day.

11. Robin

Robin Rookie

Oct 27, 2004

That's the ticket I think. Get them doing the movements and when you get to the end put your fingers on your lips and say: "Sssshhhhhh" and then speak very softly, but not for long. Or end with your hands cupped around your ears: "Now, put your listening ears on and hear what comes next..."