New 1st grade teacher!!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by kcarver, Jul 27, 2005.

1. kcarver

kcarver Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

Hello everyone!!! Im new to this so bare with me! I am a new teacher, just got a job last month. I wanted to see if anyone had sggestions for materials. I dont have a lot of money (just graduated from college if that gives you a hint ;) ) I dont mind printing stuff and making things...I made my own classroom helpers on the computer, and I can laminate for free at the school board office where I live. I like file folder games for kids to play during free time. Any suggestions on cheap, free, printable classroom materials. I have the book thing down (thrift stores, and garage sales). I jsut dont have a lot of stuff for my classroom (i.e pocket charts) Also does anyone have any suggestions for setting up my classroom, classroom managment ideas, and a good discpline program I could use???

Please help...thank you!!!! :)

3. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 27, 2005

Hi Kcarver,

i am in the same excact predicament as you..i just finished grad school too and i got a job as a first grade teacher. Somethings that i have made are absentee folders....I found a cute little bear picture on google that has a heart on it and wrote "we missed you" and glued in onto a file folder, that way one of your "jobs" could be to have a child be responsiblle for placing a folder on the desk on an absent child and the neighbor can place any papers that you pass out that day. That way when the child comes to school the next day you can send all the papers rather than trying to figure out if they received the papers or not.

Another thing i have done is made my file fodlers ahead of time. (this is something you can also have parent volunteers do...i made 25 file folders and it took me about 3 weeks ( i had my moms help)!

An inexpensive thing to buy if you want to use whiteboards in the classroom is to go to home depot and buy a sheet of dry erase board (about 7.00 for 22x48 size) and have them cut it for you. That way you can decide if you want your kids to have their own or you can use it for centers)

i have also made flashcards...i bought one pack of addition and subtraction flashcards from the dollar store and also bought index cards and then made several sets of flashcards that way students can use those during math centers,etc.

I have organize any papers that you might have for your own files and put them into file folders.
    If you want to get things like crayons or makers. Office depot has crayola 10 pack markers and colored pencils each for .39. And walmart has crayins fir .25.

Well that is all i can think of right now.

Hope it helps and good luck to you!

4. kcarver

kcarver Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

You answered both of my post...haha..Well I went to my classroom and found out that the teacher before left a bunch of stuff for me!!

Im teaching summer school this summer and have done a lot of things to help for next year:
    -I made phonics folder games (you can buy a Literacy book for 20.00 and laminate them and put in manila folers when kids have free time they can play)
    -I too have started to get my file folders together
    -I have tons of supplies from when I student taught
    -I made my own classroom helper chart, I found the picture cards at www.abcteach.com and then type in classroom helpers in the search field. Im gonna use library cards with the pics on the fron and large popsicle sticks with kids names.

Im just ready to get into my classroom and set it up I think it will give me a bigger picture at what I need tog et and what I need to do!!

5. dee

dee Companion

Jul 27, 2005

Mjennings,

I love your folder for the absent student idea. I am going to have to "steal" your idea.