Never hurts to ask

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hernandoreading, Dec 17, 2008.

1. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Dec 17, 2008

I use a classroom currency I call reading bucks. Students get bucks for answering literature related trivia on my Wiki, for winning in class contests, etc. At the end of each quarter, I hold a silent auction where kids use their reading bucks to bid on a variety of goodies. (Mostly donated by their parents and community businesses.)

I have one copy of an autographed book, and promised to auction it off in the last auction of the year. The kids went wild and are working extra hard to earn bucks. So, I thought I'd see if any of their favorite authors might be willing to autograph some books for me. I sent e-mails to four young adult & children's book authors. One wrote me back and said he would be glad to sign some books for me! I'm soooo thrilled, as this is one of my students' favorite authors and they read his books constantly!

Thus my message: it never hurts to ask! You'd be surprised what folks will do for you if you just have the courage to ask nicely.

I am soooo doing the happy dance now!:thumb:

3. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Dec 17, 2008

That is an awesome idea; I am definitely stealing it from you if you don't mind!! Great job!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2008

That is great! And something I know that the students will enjoy.

5. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Dec 17, 2008

You are absolutely right!! My husband had a class of 8th grade students in an inner city school. He actually called Chris Brown's manager to see if he was going to be in the area and could stop by and have a Q/A with the kids. They couldn't get it figured out but they did send 120 autographed 8x10 photos. The kids loved them! I also found the same works when you shop at a department store. Sometimes when I ask if there's any coupons or discounts I don't know about they'll pull a flier out and scan it. Saves me some money! My husband and I have met 2 our of favorite bands backstage by asking (a little bit more complicated than just that...) but still.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Dec 17, 2008

that's great! I would have never thought of that!