Never-ending bronchitis

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by djmondi, Dec 15, 2009.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 16, 2009

Nebulizers are fun. My nebulizer meds still make me shake for a few hours after taking them, but they clear me up for a while :p

Ah yes, Azithromycin, that is always fun. Tastes much better than Biaxin. Biaxin had the worst aftertaste ever.

2. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 16, 2009

Wow!

I'm with kcjo - ask for the blood test to check for whooping cough!

I had bad bronchitis/pneumonia several years ago, and it took a good year to get rid of the wheeze, 2 years to completely clear the deep down coughing, where you feel like your lungs are going to come out of your mouth! I think I cracked a rib coughing.

My issue was that I had picked up a parasite on vacation, and my immune system could not handle the infection. I finally went to a naturopath who treated me for parasite - not nearly as bad as it sounds! - and gave me supplements to build the immune system.

You could get the blood test then go from there, but it also might be time to try an alternative health professional - I reccomend acupuncture! - who will work to build your immune system so your body will have a better chance to fight off the infection. But it sure sounds like you are going to have to be pushy in order to get to the bottom of this!

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2009

I'll second the neti pot. I started using one about a month ago and my sinus problems have gone from daily to almost non-existant. I know its weird and hard to get past it, but its so worth it.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2009

My husband just bought one. He told me I need to use it. Do you use it daily? I have so many sinus infections I'm willing to try anything, weird or not.

5. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2009

my friend told me about the neti pot..does it hurt. I havd never heard of this before

I had a horrible cold this week and I really hope this lingering cough does not turn into bronchitis ..I get it really easily :( My lungs a really weazy right now I hate that! I had no voice for 3 days and today it was spotty but coming back!

I am taking a cough syrup with codine and it seems to help but I woke up at 3 am coughing so I took Robetussin becuase the codine knocks me out! I plan on taking some in a few ......

6. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 16, 2009

My daughter once had severe bronchitis that did not respond to her antibiotics. It turned out she had something called mycoplasmic pneumonia ( or myoplasmic , I forget how it was spelled). They gave her erythomycin, and she got better right away.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 16, 2009

I have onset asthma when I get a cold. The doc one year had put me on two different inhalers and I just couldn't shake it. Go back to the doctor or go to someone different.
    Becareful with antibotics. I was put on too much in June and got very sick from it

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 16, 2009

Oh I use a cool mist humidifier and a saline mist, works great

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 16, 2009

I got my neti pot at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It looks like a little white teapot.

I know that you're supposed to use salt water in the thing, but I just use warm water. Fill it and lean over the sink while you pour the water into one nostril. The water will come out the other nostril.

It doesn't hurt, but there is a strange sensation to it. (My husband watched me use it once and he said that I was "water boarding" myself!)

Have a paper towel or two ready to blow your nose into. (Kleenex is not enough.) You will blow out a lot of water and other "junk."

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 16, 2009

My doc recommended a neti pot also. It is bizarre beyond belief. But it does work. I couldn't bring myself to do it more than a few times, but my husband did it just to prove to me that it didn't hurt, and he got hooked. He doesn't do it anymore, but for a while he was doing it daily.

<Ok, that paragraph sounds like we were hooked on drugs or something!>

Here's what it looks like...in a word, gross:

Neti Pot

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 17, 2009

Oh, and you don't necessarily need the pot looking thing. There is also a squeeze bottle one that doesn't look as weird.

The lady in the video cracks me up-especially the exercises at the end!

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 17, 2009

I use the squeeze bottle instead of the actual pot. It doesn't hurt but sometimes it might taste a little bad because some of the salt water ends up in your mouth. But when you blow your nose and all the junk comes out...it is pure joy:)

13. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 17, 2009

Asthmatic Bronchitis is what I get, not fun at all :p