Networking

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jammer0225, Jan 25, 2012.

1. jammer0225

jammer0225 Rookie

Jan 25, 2012

I'm currently in a certification program and I'm thinking about visiting a few schools near me to introduce myself. However, I have no teaching experience whatsoever. I know it doesn't make me very competitive. Do you think it would be worth writing a letter of introduction and dropping my resume off at a few schools? In the letter, I wanted to explain that while I have no experience, I do have enthusiasm in spades. What do you think?

3. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jan 25, 2012

Not sure what to tell you. I am looking at relocating and I am developing contacts where I grew up. I basically mention anyone I talk to in the area I am looking for a teaching job. I got hooked up with one teacher who works in three districts and knows the admin very well who is helping. That was all from talking to an insurance agent!

4. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jan 25, 2012

I think dropping off a cover letter and resume is a good idea; however, I wouldn't mention anything about not having experience. Focus on the positives in your letter, and connect anything you've done where you've worked with kids to what you would do in the classroom. Have you tutored, taught Sunday School, been a camp counselor, had any field placements/internships, observation experiences, worked at a daycare, been an assistant or aide anywhere, subbed ...?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2012

I agree-- don't mention your lack of experience. There's no reason to highlight what you see as your major roadblock to finding a job.

It's only January, and hiring season hasn't started yet. Why not get some experience working with kids?

You could tutor, you could volunteer to help with the play or with the dance team or to judge debate for your local schools. You could work at a camp over the summer-- anything that would bring more to the table than you currently bring.

6. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jan 26, 2012

It wouldn't hurt to drop by the schools. In the meantime, try to sub or tutor to gain more experience.