Network, Network, Network

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tripletsteacher, Mar 21, 2007.

1. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Mar 21, 2007

Hi, I just wanted to share something with all of you. All the job find books say-"Leave no stone unturned" when looking for a job. I was really hesitant on emailing a few teachers I sort of know to ask for advice on the job search and whether they knew of any opeinings. However, I emailed three teachers and found out things I would have never know otherwise. For example, one district here has a posted first grade opening. It has been listed for about 3 weeks. I emailed a teacher there today and asked for any advice on the job search and whether she knew of any openings. I could not believe it when she emailed me back and said this school has 2 first grade openings and 2 second grade openings for next year. Only 1 of those is actually posted. I wonder why????
    She also said the principal is in the process of putting together an interview committee right now. The second teacher I emailed gave me some excellent advice also. She said her principal loves persistance-meaning call, call, call! The other job posting at a different school stated a vacancy as just elementary postion. I emailed a teacher there and found out exactly what grade and who was retiring. It felt silly emailing them since I do not know any of them very well. However, I learned much more about the search and jobs had I not. Just thought I would share!:)

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 21, 2007

Wow! It does pay to gain insight into that school's culture.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2007

Oh yes. This is a great idea! I had a teacher who subbed for me and she told me she was looking for a job. I was able to let her in on the information that I knew of. I am thinking this is often times the way many, many people get a job. It's all about the network.