NES content exams help

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by timmyswife12, Jul 30, 2020.

1. timmyswife12

timmyswife12 Rookie

Jul 30, 2020

I need help and guidance for passing the WA state content exams (elementary education subtest I and II.). I have taken the exams two times, and each time I have not passed. I scored higher on subtest I (ELA and history) than I did on subtest II (math and science). Any and all help, support, guidance, and encouragement is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2020

Roughly how far from passing are you?

4. timmyswife12

timmyswife12 Rookie

Jul 31, 2020

About 20 points from passing.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2020

Does your score report give any analysis of your performance on each subtest? If so, are you doing better in ELA than in history or vice versa, or about the same? How about in math vs. science?

6. timmyswife12

timmyswife12 Rookie

Aug 2, 2020

Yes, I receive a score report letting me know how I did in each competency. On the first attempt, I scored higher on the ELA section than I did on the History section. With Math and Science, I scored about the same. I’m still waiting for the second attempt, but the second time around I would say I scored about the same across all competencies. I did better on the first attempt than I did on the second attempt.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2020

What have you been using to study?

8. timmyswife12

timmyswife12 Rookie

Aug 2, 2020

I purchased the practice exams from the NES website. I have also used the praxis multiple subject practice exams as recommended by my school. I purchased a book from Amazon and homework books for grades 4-6 in each subject from scholastic.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2020

All right, and what do you do to study?

10. timmyswife12

timmyswife12 Rookie

Aug 3, 2020

When I am reading the books I highlight what I believe to be important concepts, and then I will write those in my notebook. When I am taking the practice tests, I take them on learner mode. After I answer each question I check to see if the answer is correct or not and it will give me a detailed reason as to why. I have also made flash cards with important vocabulary and questions. Or what I feel to be important.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2020

How confident are you in your ability to pass multiple-choice tests generally? And how much grief did your basic skills test (WEST-B or CBEST or whichever equivalent Praxis product WA sees fit to accept these days) give you?

Sometimes the correct answer to a multiple-choice question is the best answer. At least as often, however, the correct answer is the least worst answer: it's what's left after one has eliminated the really stupid answer choice, the fairly stupid answer choice, and the almost-plausible answer choice that is subtly irrelevant (such as suggesting phonemic awareness work for near-grade-level fourth graders, asserting that economics played no role in bringing on the French Revolution, ignoring the role of altitude in determining climate) or that represents a common mistake (cross-canceling instead of cross-multiplying to solve a proportion, setting up the proportion incorrectly).