Nervous!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teach2heart, Nov 8, 2007.

1. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Nov 8, 2007

Hi all!

I am writing in hopes of learning some substitute tips! I have not yet done any substituting (sub jobs have been very slow here but are starting to pick up) and am feeling a bit anxious about starting. I have also been considering going into another career where I can be guaranteed an income, but I just have this feeling that if I leave teaching now it will be so hard to come back later! I did a long-term sub position last year and had a really stressful group of 1st graders. Although there were wonderful moments that I knew I loved teaching, it was a very difficult class and I had very little support. I know I shouldn't base all of my opinions of teaching on that one class so I am doing my best to move past it and live by "that which does not kill me makes me stronger!" :) Any suggestions or inspirational stories? :thanks: :hugs:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2007

I would definitely peruse this forum. There are great tips floating around to get you started! Good luck! I was nervous going into subbing this year too though I had subbed in another district. Things are looking good though!!

4. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Nov 8, 2007

One thing off the top of my head would be don't let the kids sense that you are nervous. Some will try to push your buttons more than others. My experience for the most part has been that teachers are helpful and always happy to answer questions.
    You will have some days that are more challenging than others, but when you get that hug or cute picture at the end of the day it makes it all worthwhile. Today two kids gave me apples before they left for the day. :haha:

5. lincro44

lincro44 Rookie

Nov 9, 2007

Firstly, breath then just make up a few of your own rules. Things that you expect from every class not just one. Ask the teacher if available or aid what tricks the teacher uses to quiet the class or other things. Like yesterday a teacher 1st grade had the stop light system but also used RESPECT and each time the kids were getting loud and not paying attention she erased a letter. they would lose 5 minutes of recess if all the letters disappeared. Use a forceful voice or just stand there and stare at them most of the time they get nervous and start telling the others to be quiet. Be conservative with help too. Some kids will play you thinking that if you do the work for them they don't have to do any. Talking is perhaps the most disruptive activity in any grade and it is the hardest to control. There always seems to be one child who for whatever reason is the person that acts like the teacher. I wish you luck. This year has started off a little out of hand for me too.