Nervous!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jan 21, 2019

My home district has a teacher work day tomorrow, but my new one will have school. So I asked (and recieved an ok) if I could spend tomorrow at the new school. I'm so nervous! I tried to go to bed but was basically just laying there staring into the dark. Really excited too, of course, but nervous! Already got my clothes picked out and my lunch/snacks packed for tomorrow.

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 22, 2019

well?...How did it go?

4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jan 23, 2019

It was good for the most part! Most of teachers were very warm and welcoming. Kids are curious about me and everything. Some of the teachers I kind of felt like I got the cold shoulder from but I don't think it was meant to be rude/harsh. I get where they're coming from. It's though to integrate new people within the community. Gotta see how they fit and everything.

5. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jan 23, 2019

And I'm sure you are aware that it might not have ANYTHING to do with you - thye might just be busy or their mind is on students. I'm glad things went well!

ms.irene likes this.
  6. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jan 24, 2019

Oh I know and completely agree! It could have been any number of things that effected that. I'm going to do it again in March with a teacher work day and again in April due to Spring Break.

MrsC likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 24, 2019

Could you periodically update us about what you do in your day-to-day as a VP? This would benefit me greatly.

Thank you for your time!

8. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jan 24, 2019

I mean...I can?

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2019

I know that you are planning to go into administration as soon as possible, but be aware that the responsibilities and realities will likely vary widely from district-to-district and site-to-site. This is what I saw of my VP's day yesterday:

- covered the supervision duties of 2 of our educational assistants who were out without subs
    - provided behaviour support in the classrooms where those EAs are usually assigned
    - had in-person meetings with 3 parents and phone meetings with another 5
    - chaired meeting of school Well-Being Committee
    - supervised hallways and classrooms during indoor recesses
    - consulted with at least 4 teachers about evaluation and report cards
    - attended Human Rights training seminar for administrators (after school)
    - worked through behaviour issues with (at least) 10 students

While the first two items on the list were not things that happen daily, they are not unusual. The rest is typical. This is what I know of when I'm in the classroom all day; I'm sure it's only the tip of the iceberg.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. futuremathsprof

Jan 24, 2019

Thank you so much!!! You’re awesome. :)

11. futuremathsprof

Jan 24, 2019

Not regularly, just little snippets as a series of bullet points so I know what generally a VP is expected to do on the average. :D

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2019

I love that you are doing this! It shows everyone that you are "all in" and are eager to make this transition smooth for everyone. The most successful VPs that I have worked with have all spent time in the building before they assumed the role.

13. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jan 25, 2019

My thought process was basically I don't want to walk into a new building in this role and be completely lost. And I agree, I think it'll help make the transition smoother. At least I can get to know the teachers & staff (at least the ones that will be returning) ahead of time. Can get a feel for the general flow of the average school day in that building. All with the advantage of having the current VP still there to share knowledge with me. I already warned him I ask ALOT questions. I have to understand the backside of things otherwise it's just not going to make sense to me.

I also understand that it's going to be an adjustment for all involved parties. The current VP has been there for a few years so he's well known. But I'm not him so it's obviously going to be a difference in how things are approached. So I want to take what he can give me and put my own touch to it.

It also gives me a chance to be at least partially prepared for the first week. I know we're going to have new teachers (I mean, aren't there always?). So at least I won't be completely unprepared for questions they may have about the days flow and such like that. I mean I get that there's going to be stuff I don't know the answers to — but I can find out — but I'll have a base point to start with.

futuremathsprof and MrsC like this.