Nervous

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cristin11, Jul 2, 2010.

1. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

I just got a call from a principal at a local school asking me to come in for an interview. She seemed really nice, but she told me I'll be interviewing with her, the asst principal, and teachers from grades 2-4! She basically told me to be ready to get grilled.

I'm going up for 2 positions: 2nd and 4th. I have a semester of teaching in 2nd, and none in 4th. However, at this point, I'm willing to learn anything.

I'm so excited, but so nervous at the same time! The good news is that I have a 3 day weekend to prepare for any and all possible questions.

Oh my gosh!!! YAY! :haha:

3. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 2, 2010

Good luck! I hope the teachers are pleasant during the interview. I would hope an administrator would not promote grilling during an interview. If grilling is prospective teachers is how they do things, it wouldn't be the right fit for me. :hugs:

4. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jul 2, 2010

Good Luck!!!

5. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

Good luck. I only really went on one interview but they were so nice. Felt really comfortable

6. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

Thanks! Just a note, she laughed when she said get ready to be grilled, so I think she meant I need to be ready for lots of questions. She seemed very nice and friendly, so I have no worries in that department.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2010

Good luck!!!!!! :)

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 2, 2010

Good luck! Congrats! Keep us posted! I cannot wait to hear all about it! Good luck!!!

9. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

I think it's great that the P warned you about the format of the interview so you weren't flabbergasted. Check out another thread about someone who was surprised at an interview. Good luck. This sounds like a P I'd like to work for.

10. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jul 2, 2010

Good Luck they are both great grades to teach!

11. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

That's awesome! Congrats!!!!
    P's in this area interview like that also. When I interviewed, it was for either a 4th or 5th grade position. Come to find out, the teachers of both grades liked me and fussed over who was going to get me. The P decided on 4th since I was a newbie. It actually helped to have more than one person ask the questions. My group just went around the table and each one asked a question.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!!

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2010

Good luck!

13. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 5, 2010

I like it when Ps include teachers in interviews. It shows they value their teachers input. But that a lot of people! I had one interview that was 6 people who took turns asking questions. I tried to frame it in my mind that we were out to lunch chatting about teaching. I tend to get nervous and blank out! Make sure you make eye contact with everyone!

GL!

14. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jul 5, 2010

Thanks! As tomorrow gets closer, I'm starting to get even more nervous! I've never had more than 1 or 2 people in an interview at a time. I get so flustered sometimes, so I hope I can breathe :)

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2010

I always think of an interview as a cocktail party, minus the cocktails and the mini hot dogs!

But you put it perfectly: in simplest form, it's reallly just a conversation about teaching. It's just like being here, chatting with a bunch of strangers about something that means a lot to you.

The ONLY difference is that, if I were on an interview right now, I wouldn't be wearing a bathing suit and cover up :)

16. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Okay, so my portfolio, resume packet, business cards, and other random items I need to bring are all in order. Now all I have to do is go to the school and nail my interview!

Wish me luck!

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2010

Good Luck and I am sure you will NAIL this interview

sending good vibes your way :)

18. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Just got home. I'm a little worried because I'm up against 15 other people (including one long time sub that has been working there for awhile). The interview was with a panel of teachers and they only asked me a few questions (but they LOVED my brochure). All 4 were tired and not really excited about anything, so it was hard to be enthusiastic about anything.

Really, the only thing going for me was the fact that the Asst. Principal worked at my college for a long time and she was excited that they had a HC grad. Hopefully that pulls me in so I can talk to the P and AP again.

19. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 6, 2010

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Don't forget to do your TY notes ASAP! Good Luck!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2010

Nope. You have a lot more than that going for you.

THEY were tired-- I'm sure you weren't.

And they went to the trouble to interveiw you-- that means that you're as much a contender as anyone else.

Now get going on those thank you notes!!