Nervous to take the first call

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by subgal712, Oct 23, 2006.

1. subgal712

subgal712 New Member

Oct 23, 2006

I have been on the sub list for over a year and am still yet to take a call. My last student teaching experience was horrible. The kids didnt listen, they ridiculed me day in and day out and the teacher didnt do anything about it. I think that is why I am too scared to take any job. It is getting out of control now ... I either need to do it or find another profession. I really want to get back into teaching though. What can I do to get over my fears?

3. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Oct 23, 2006

There there, subgal. I know how traumatic experiences like that can put a really bad taste in your mouth and make you reconsider your entire future.

After my little experience with the elementary school from heck, I was a little scared to go back into substitute teaching myself. (I actually wanted to QUIT.) As a matter of fact, I still do have fear and worry hanging over my shoulders. Since I discovered that there are schools that mistreat their substitutes, I now worry exactly what the teachers I substitute for have to say about me when they come back from their absences. Just about every teacher I've spoken to since that incident, though, has had wonderful things to say about me. The worry is slowly disappearing as I'm figuring out that there are a million different opinions and viewpoints out there, and you can't possibly be compatible with them all.

Aside from that, I've experienced nightmare classes, too. I've found that it all amounts to experience and practice. Like any other skill, substitute teaching is something that you have to slowly master with time and a variety of experiences. I guess the experience for me builds much more rapidly, though, since I'm registered for every school and grade level in the region.

Don't be scared, subgal. Substitute teaching is like having a dream. If you don't like it, you will eventually wake up -- and you will be able to start over with many others in the future. Somewhere along the line, you'll find that sweet dream that'll touch your heart and inspire you to keep going.

Myself? I'm not going to let rowdy students and teachers that haven't had their daily prescription of caffeine keep me from doing my job. I am a substitute teacher; I have a function, and so does the system. I'm here to try and make it work. All I -- and any other substitute can do -- is execute the plan to make it happen the best way possible, with the greatest possible effort.

Just do your best. Every school is different; every experience is different. After a traumatic experience, it's hard to get it off your back and look at new schools and classrooms with a fresh perspective, but the reality is that they are just that -- fresh experiences that you can start from scratch with.

You'll find golden moments along with the black ones.

Accept a call. If it doesn't work out, let's discuss it and learn from it together. I'll always offer a caring ear. :)

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2006

Subgal- Feel the fear and do it anyway

Everyone has bad experiences. You have to keep on going. If you let fear stop you, what kind of life will you have? You will regret never knowing what could have been.

Go for it.

5. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Oct 23, 2006

Subgal,
    At some point you have to jump off the cliff. Just do it. You will be okay. Then you'll realize you enjoy the students, the classes, the activiy, the variety--everything. And you'll be kicking yourself for putting it off so long.

6. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Oct 23, 2006

I can understand how nervous you must be after your student teaching experience and am here to let you know that you shouldn't let it stop you if you really want to teach.

We all have bad experiences from time-to-time but we get through them and move on. The nice thing about being a Substitute Teacher is that if you don't like the school or have bad experiences somewhere then you don't have to go back there.

I had a horrible experience once as a sub at a community high school district and was treated just as bad as you were, if not worse. I called the HR the very next day and told them to remove my name because I had no intentions of walking back into a re-peat situation with their schools.

You are a Teacher and authority figure thatd eserves just as much respect as the actual faculty and staff does. If you don't get it, either from the students or other teachers themselves, then walk away and never look back knowing there's other schools where you'll have far better experiences and be treated the way you desrve to be treated.

7. WVsub

WVsub Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

I had a wonderful student teaching experience with a wonderful teacher and it left me totally unprepared to take on a difficult classroom. The very first day I subbed was on a Valentine's day in a 6th grade classroom. There was to be a party that day and the kids were hyped up and HORRIBLE. I left knowing that I had made the wrong decision taking on teaching as a profession, but I stuck it out and love it now.

You're going to have bad classes and you're going to have good classes. My best advice for you is to do a search online for disipline techniques to come up with a plan to use when you substitute. If you have a good discipline plan your battle is half won.

8. jillneedsajob

jillneedsajob New Member

Oct 24, 2006

I think I kind of felt (or feel) like you.

I just graduated in June. My student teaching experience, was, well, not the most pleasant experience.

I knew the teacher that was going to be my cooperating teacher before I student taught with her. I thought the experience was going to be really great. It wasn't. The student's weren't bad (a few difficult ones, but that's how it goes). But my CT was HORRIBLE to me. I had previously volunteered in her classroom and she loved me. She couldn't stop talking about how great of a teacher I was going to be (and how she wanted me to student teach in her room). Then once I was in the student teacher role, there was a complete 180 degree difference in her attitude. I could never do anything right (even though she gave no constructive criticism, advice for improvement, or was even in the classroom 1% of the time to observe me!)

There were several times during my student teaching experience that I just wanted to quit. I was really close to just giving up because of her. But I didn't. I just bit my lip and told myself that it was going to be over soon.

Needless to say she really killed my spirit. The worst thing she ever did was have me doubt my abilities as a teacher. So much so that I decided that I should sub this first year out to get more experience. I'm still trying to regain my confidence in teaching (even though everyone else, including my student teaching supervisor, has said that I'm really good and that I graduated in the top 1% of my university's class).

I actually did my very first sub job on October 19th. And I probably wouldn't have taken it had it not been for a friend I went to school with. In that way I feel I was fortunate because my first time out subbing it was for someone I knew really well (and someone I knew wouldn't leave me with no plans, etc.). That was for a first grade class.

I tell you, even though it was for a friend, I really just wanted to say, "no! I can't do it!". But I knew I couldn't bail out on a friend like that. So the night before I got like 5 hours of sleep (being nervous). And I woke up early, freaked out a bit, and went to the school.

I found the plans, made some notes for myself, and the day started. Sure there were a few bumps (the kids will remind you that Miss So and So doesn't do it like that), but everything went fine.

I know it's hard to do (everything is always easier said than done), but really just get the first time out of the way and you'll be really happy. I tell you, the anticipation and stress before my first day subbing was way worse than anything else.

One thing I think is great about subbing is that if you don't like a class, teacher, or school, etc., you have no obligation to go back and sub there again if you don't want to.

And finally getting some money in your pocket doesn't hurt either. :)

9. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Oct 25, 2006

Subgal~

So sorry you feel this way.:sorry:

1. PLEASE understand that they ridiculed you and your experience was bad because someone else let that happen.

2. YOU are in control now. Look forward and not back. Who cares that it has been a year? That is past now. Hang up a couple of outfits so you are ready to go...and take a job. YOU CAN DO IT

3. Make a decision that you will take a job for sure as long as it is at x, y or z school and in x, y or z grade. Its okay to be picky - but make the list and promise yourself to accept a job that meets "school and grade" criteria on the list.
    --kinder may be crazy but they will not ridicule you
    --second grade is nice because the kids are a little older, can help with little things and they still think their teacher or sub is the best
    ---etc

4. Have a plan of what you will and won't accept in the area of behavior, let it be known and stick with it. If someone breaks your rules, take that seriously and take action accordingly.

5. Take a deep breath and go for it.

Best of luck...please try.

10. ktleew

ktleew New Member

Nov 4, 2006

Similar fears

I finished my teaching degree last May and then taught 3rd grade summer school. I hadn't subbed, and I didn't get a fulltime job for the fall. I had a horrible fear of subbing. I accepted my first sub job about an hour and a half before I had to be at the school. I was working my "nonteaching" job so I had to drive home and quickly prepare for my first sub job. I thought it would be a breeze - it was third grade in a small school so it would probably be kind of like summer school. It was nothing like summer school, and it took me almost a month to take another sub job. I finally ended up taking a half-day job, and it turned out much better than the first. But I still had a horrible fear of going to a new school and a new class.

I finally made the decision to pick certain days for subbing and only subbing in areas where I really want to teach - first grade through sixth grade and possibly kindergarten, no specials. I did this last week, and it worked out just fine. I was still nervous, but I had a better attitude about it. I knew that I wouldn't have to sub the next day because that was a day I had picked to work my other job. Also, I have more time to prepare myself for my subbing days. I sub for two sub services so I can likely get a job in advance.

I feel lucky to have the choice, but I don't have a choice not to sub if I want to put my teaching degree to use. I need to get myself out there and get experience in order to get a fulltime job. I know that I love teaching, even though subbing is not what I want to do. I really enjoyed teaching summer school, and I know that subbing is the way to getting a fulltime job for next year.

Good luck to you. :)
    Katie

11. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 5, 2006

Hi Subgal,

Take a deep breath and relax as you get ready in the morning for your sub call that you will accept.

Tell yourself that YOU can do it. YOU are the adult, the kids are that exactly KIDS.

When I was in grade 6 as a student years back, we had lots of "supply teachers" as they are called in Ontario, Canada. The best ones were teachers that brought something with them that was unique. The best one was a guy that had a guitar case covered with stickers and band related material. When he opened it no guitar was found, but he had converted the case into a portable office, with areas for Pens, worksheets, activities, etc.

Another one started the day off with a slide show, saying how much she loves teaching, and helping kids become better citizens.

If older kids are giving you a hard time this is what I do.

I would be up at the front of the room doing a direct teaching model:present and explain. a kid picks up a stack of textbooks and drops them in the aisle. I turn around calmly, and look for the student who did the disruption, I say what is your name? they say Trevor. I reply by asking, "Trevor, when you graduated high school in 6 years what are you going to do, Because if you pay attention in school, and learn as much as you can, you can walk into a job interview and use your skills to get the job. Then with the money you earn from the job, you can buy your dream car, and park it at your dream house, beside your big boat, hummer, or harley davidson motorcycle collection. That goes to the rest of you as well, this is a classroom, somewhere students, (which each of you are) come to seek out new knowledge. you want to be an actor, they did well in school, you want to be a doctor, they did well in school, what do you want to be?" then turn around and continue writing what ever you were writing.

You have to talk to kids. Half of classroom management, is getting the kids to act accordingly, the other half is teaching them how to act accordingly.

Again Relax and say I CAN do this.

Also if you havent been near a classroon in a while, volunteer in a room one day you have a day off. You will learn contemporary classroom management strategies, and also get a chance to ease in to the classroom with 75% less responsibility as a volunteer.

Mr. Skinner

12. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

I agree.

I have had "talks" with students before, as well -- mostly with elementary and middle schoolers. The high school students would probably view it as a boring lecture more easily, but under the right circumstances, they'll take me seriously.

I explain to the students that a large amount of money (approximately $250 per student per course) has been invested in them to allow them to get an education to advance themselves. I ask them who they think pays for it. When they answer "everyone," I emphasize that the taxpayers are paying for their attendance... so, it should come as no surprsie when we all get a little upset when they decide to use the investment to goof off and choose to make poor grades.