Nervous in front of you class?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Mar 27, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

Does anyone ever get that nervous feeling in front of your class?

Sometimes I feel like my kids are looking at me bored or like what is she teaching. I feel like this maybe 10% of the time. So not much.

They are only 6 and 7 years old but sometimes I just look out at all of those faces looking at me(especially if I am not prepared in my lesson) and I get so nervous. It quickly goes away but I just wondered if this has ever happened to anyone?

Not as in student teaching when you are first starting and learning but once you have been in your career.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

No, I don't really get nervous in front of my class. I used to get nervous in front of parent volunteers and administration, but now I am so engrossed in my students, I don't even notice when they are there.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

Thats the thing. I never get nervous in front of administration or parents.

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2011

I do not get nervous in front of the children. I do get nervous sometimes in front of parents or administration; even that is less and less. I found myself getting nervous sometimes with children when I first started, but not for a long time now.

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Mar 28, 2011

Every once in a while when we hit a topic that is more difficult to explain, I get a little nervous (not so much because of them, but because I want to make sure I explain it as well as possible).

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2011

No, I don't. I'm more comfortable around my students than my peers.

I do recall, though, one instance in which I just about had a completely unexplained breakdown. It was a good bit into my first year and I was at the overhead (before document cameras and projectors) and we going over a bellringer. I was a little confused myself (nothing major...normal human brain blip) and I just about started crying. It was terrible. I flustered my words and struggled to compose myself. I told the students I suddenly didn't feel well and attempted to play it off as an intense headache. That was the only time it happened. Very strange.

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 28, 2011

I don't get nervous, but sometimes I am frustrated if I have not prepared well, or if they just don't get it. I feel dumb when a lesson flops, but then I go home and figure out a way to reteach more effectively.

I do know that sinking feeling when they look bored.

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Mar 28, 2011

Yep its that bored look they have.

10. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2011

When I taught classes, I would often get this very nervous I-don't-want-to-go-in feeling right before the class started. I would dread each step on the way to the classroom.

And then as soon as I started teaching, I'd be completely fine -- relaxed, comfortable, and enjoying myself.

Also rather animated, so it was pretty rare that the class was actually as bored as they might have been.

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2011

They are only kids...... Don't be nervous.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  12. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 28, 2011

I have not gotten nervous in front of the kids, but when they give me the I-have-no-idea face I do get frustrated. I get frustrated because I am not being effective and they are not trying to engage to learn. This does not happen very often, but when it does I am not a happy camper.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 30, 2011

I can definitely say that I've never been nervous in front of my kids.

In front of adults, though, I'm a nervous wreck! I especially hate Back-to-School Night because I have to give a speech on front of parents outlining what I'll be teaching for the year, what my expectations are, etc. I get oh-so-nervous!

I also get pretty anxious when my grade level team or any other team is watching me teach a lesson. I often teach demo lessons, and although people think I'm as cool as a cucumber (I guess I seem relaxed and not nervous), I'm shaking with fear! :unsure:

14. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Mar 30, 2011

Never in front of my primary/prek kids. When I subbed for high school I was nervous- but mainly because I was afraid of some behavior situation starting up that I wouldn't be able to handle.

I'm not nervous in front of admin. watching me teach, when I'm well prepared, but I am with parents in the room. If their child starts acting out when they're there, I'm always nervous about reacting to the behavior in any way, because I'm afraid the parent will get upset about it.