Nervous about positions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by AFWifeinUtah, Mar 8, 2009.

1. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

I had so many teachers tell me, "just wait until February and there are going to be so many jobs open. You will be able to really pick and choose where you want to work." February was when they had to sign their "intent to teach next year." February has come and gone. What is open? Pretty much nothing! The only jobs open are the ones that you have to have special qualifications for. Like a Chinese Immersion teacher, reading coach, and secondary positions. I am elementary. Each day I get on the district website and look at what is available I get more upset, worried and nervous that I might not get anything. Not only that, but I did apply for and interview for positions that had opened up during the year (they were very few) and the number of people being interviewed was crazy.

I won't sub another year. I hate subbing after having my own room. I really cannot stomach the fact that the kids are so disrespectful when I am just as qualified as their "normal" teacher, but since I am not their normal teacher they will try to get away with things.

I'm just really frustrated. I don't talk to my husband about it because I don't want him to know that I am nervous about not having anything. Then the other half of my brain says to give things more time to open up. At the same time, with the economy, people are not letting their jobs go, and some people are delaying retirement. This could so easily happen in education also.

The schools I sub in have also had student teachers and I'm going to be competing against them. I've also noticed a preference amoung the schools here if you have an in-state degree. My degree is not from this state. I only have one year of experience. Sorry this is kind of long, I'm just worried and have no one to share concerns with. I'm just feeling bummed. :unsure:

3. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Mar 8, 2009

i am feeling the same way. i have had many very upset days thinking about the possibililty of going another year subbing. i loved subbing before i got my long term job because i just love teaching but after having my own class and classroom everyday i have to sub is a bad day for me =(

4. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Mar 8, 2009

I understand where you are coming from AFWifeinUtah. I'm trying to get back into teaching after about 5 years out of it, and I'm desperately afraid I will get passed over because there will be so many other people out there with more experience. The only piece of advice I can offer you is to keep checking for available positions. One of the counties I am interested in teaching in has on their website that staffing needs may not be determined until after June. I suppose it could take awhile to get all the information of who is retiring, transferring, etc together and out there.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2009

There are many others in the exact situation. Just try to hang in there. :hugs:

Are you able to relocate or anything? Have you obtained your teaching license in the state you're in right now?

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 8, 2009

Around here, I don't see postings really go through the roof until April or even May. For most schools in my area, teachers don't have to notify schools of their intent to leave their position until mid-June. Even though I have a teaching job, I still check the job bank in case I can post something for anyone here, but it's still slim pickings.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2009

I know that around here, the jobs won't be posting until mid April or early May.

8. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

THanks for the info Catnfiddle! =) I haven't noticed too much around here except for a couple of 4th grade positions and a district who took applications for random jobs for a week.

I am deathly afraid that I will not get a teaching position for next year! I am also starting to apply to any charter school/private school positions that open up. I had one not good position where I was in a charter school as a Preschool teacher. BUT I will do my research this time!

If I don't get a teaching job for next year... I'm not sure if I will try to sub or if I will just try to go for some random 8-5 job to make a steady paycheck =/

9. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

I think getting a teaching certificate in that state is a must. As for job postings, in my mind it is just starting. I have seen a few jobs posted, but I'm not really expecting it to pick up till April. Good luck.

10. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

In our area, postings for next year don't go up until about a week after the school year ends. Teachers who are on a permanent contract still have another month to renew their contracts for the 09-10 school year. So I can empathize with you about being nervous about the waiting. It sucks.

11. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 8, 2009

Yeah I was feeling just like you - but just Friday several positions have posted here, and only a few weeks ago the School Board was saying that they were considering a hiring freeze in 09/10 due to budget deficits. So I am thrilled to see some activity on the Vacancy page, and anticipate several more through the next 2 months.

12. palla

palla Companion

Mar 9, 2009

I think that is what makes it so difficult to look for a teaching job. There is only one time a year when there are openings. Well, ok, there are openings in the middle of the year, but the majority of openings are in the Fall. So you have to wait until March or April or whenever the districts in your area are ready to start looking for teachers. As a result, you end up thinking about it all the time, but you can't do much because the districts aren't ready.

In that regard, it would be easier looking for - say- a finance job with banks that hire year round.

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 9, 2009

My contacts have told me that postings will start going up in April. I expect the competition to be brutal. If I don't get a full-time position next year then I will have to sub. Which I despise after having my own classroom. I'm nervous that there won't be much until after July since Florida is waiting on stimulus funds.

14. smalltowngal

Mar 9, 2009

MAT-I find it hard to sub too. It was easy before I had my own classroom. I would jump at the chance to sub, but since having my own, it's like pulling teeth to get into the schools. I know, I know...bad bad me. :(

15. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Whoop! Just saw more specific postings go up today...one is exactly what I want - Junior High ELA! But I am sure that they will fill if before I finish the ACP.

16. smalltowngal

Mar 9, 2009

kalli-go ahead and apply for it. As long as you are certified before school starts, they can hire you.

17. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 9, 2009

That's the thing. I used to LOVE subbing. Then I got my own classroom and now would rather go to the dentist than sub. Unfortunately, money takes precedence over pride sometimes. I've managed to avoid it for a year but unless I start subbing next year my skills will become stale and that won't help in the long-run.

I'm thinking that this summer they'll all be waiting till the last minute to post anything.

18. smalltowngal

Mar 9, 2009

MAT-I've managed not to sub this year. The tutoring job was great, but unfortunately they haven't gotten back to me on that. I'm hoping that if you are a sub in the district, you can teach summer school. That will help over the summer.

19. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Hey smalltown - should I apply even if I havent taken my test yet? My TExES is scheduled for April 4th.

Thx!

20. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Kalli007 ~ I would still apply if it is for next school year......that still gives the school time to get your test scores! It never hurts to apply!

I am hoping job postings start to pick up soon too! :thumb: Just a couple more weeks until April and that is when I expect to see some start showing up!

21. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Cool I just called and they said yes go ahead and apply! So I did!

22. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

It's still too early for loads of postings.

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2009

Most of the districts around here don't hire until at least mid-May, with most of the hiring in the summer.

24. smalltowngal

Mar 9, 2009

kalli~I'm glad that you went ahead and called. I was going to say to apply anyway. Good luck!

I'm not trying to get too down about the lack of positions. One district has 2 positions up that are for next year. This district very rarely has high turnover. The principal is aware of my interest (I worked there last year as a tutor). My home district won't post anything until probably April-May.

25. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

Luckily I have about 5 districts within reasonable driving distance to choose from, I am just worried about a migration of experienced teachers from other states applying too. I would hope that already being a part of the community would benefit me, but also can see how a teacher with even a year under their belt would get selected before me.

26. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 9, 2009

It is going to be hard for everyone. I currently live in California and have two years teaching experience and will be moving to the Austin, TX area. It will be easier since I'm not stuck to one place. I will apply, apply, apply, and then move to where I get a job.

27. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

I am not able to relocate. I am where I am now because the military graciously relocated us! I used to teach kindergarten and would have had my kindergarten job again this year had we not been transferred! Doesn't that just stink?
    Yes I have my certification in the state that I am in. In fact, I am certified in three states.