Nervours Interviewing????

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anewstart101, Jun 13, 2008.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 13, 2008

How do you get rid of the nerves and not come across DESPERATE????? I just feel like I'm not being myself or maybe it is the competition.

Stephanie

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2008

Just picture the interviewers as your co-workers rather than big bad interviewers. It helps to picture yourself as that grade level teacher already, like someone else said, own the position.

4. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I've really found that some interviewers put me at ease and I'm not very nervous at all. I leave these interviews thinking how great it went and how nice it would be to work with that staff.

Other interviewers make me feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. I'm not really sure what the difference is. These interviews typically don't go as well, but maybe that's for the best, since the environment didn't seem to match with me.

Of course, I didn't get any callbacks either way, so maybe I was acting more nervous than I thought. :)

Just try to relax (I know!) and think that you don't NEED the job. Another opportunity might come up the next day, the next week, etc. I try to remember that interviews are an opportunity to share what I love about teaching with others. It helps me to think of it this way. Good luck!

5. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

Whenever I was interviewing I tried to think, "This is who I am. If they really don't like who I am then I would not be a good fit anyway." That helped me a little.

Also, remember that they saw your resume and they picked you so they already think you have something special.

6. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 14, 2008

What really helped me was practice, practice, practice! I practiced answering interview questions by looking in the mirror (that was weird!) and to my husband. And by myself! Over and over again. Then, when it came time to interview, I was still nervous for the first few minutes, but I felt really prepared to answer the questions and the nerves just went away.

Good Luck! :)

7. eCubed

eCubed Companion

Jun 14, 2008

Maybe we can:
    1. Find as many crucial likely-to-be-asked-of-us questions as possible.
    2. Find the best answers for them. (yes, most likely from awesome members of this forum, especially MasterPre-K, eduk8r, and smalltowngal :):D:blush:).
    3. Compile 1 and 2 into separate audio tracks (1 Q/A per track), yes, EITHER text-to-voice, or record own voices.
    4. Burn 3 on CD.
    5. Listen to 4 CONSTANTLY, driving on our way to work or on long driving trips, working out, doing second-nature quiet household work, etc.

AND YES, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Unfortunately, none of my acquaintances and family can offer enough time for me on this :help:, so I'll have to use my bathroom mirror to do it!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2008

eCubed- have you taken a look at the Interview Questions 2008 thread?

9. eCubed

eCubed Companion

Jun 14, 2008

YES, I've read about 65% of the thread so far. That's where I'm getting my Qs and As for the most part.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 14, 2008

Practice with anyone around you. Even if they someone you know, being put on the spot for an answer changes your response. I would encourage them to reword the questions too and to always follow up with "what if that doesn't work" or "what else could you do" types of questions to prepare you for a real interview. Here are a list of questions to give to the person that you choose: http://www.career.vt.edu/jobsearc/interview/teacher.htm

One more tip is to have some kind of paper teaching portfolio because it can buy you time to formulate your answer (as you flip through pages) and serves as a reminder that you know how to answer the questions as evident in the portfolio :2up: