"Nerd Day"-- my thoughts

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by cali*teacher, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 11, 2014

LOL. If you believe certain students don't believe they fit a certain stereotype you are out of touch.

If you are saying do I believe the stereotype nerd still exists...absolutely and it is a shame..but it still exists.

Am I guilty of stereotyping from time to time. ABSOLUTELY.

All the more reason havng a nerd day is a bad idea, because WE DO HAVE PEOPLE IN MIND.

2. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

If I went to any middle school or high school in America, and most elementary schools too, I can absolutely guarantee I would find kids that get teased and bullied for being "a nerd."

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 11, 2014

I can guarantee these kinds of dress-up days are less "hooray for nerd culture" and more "let's make fun of the worst of the stereotype".

4. greendream

greendream Cohort

Feb 11, 2014

Whatever people you have in mind, you are the one categorizing them as nerds.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 11, 2014

Do you not understand, you are proving my point.

Nerd day is a bad idea.

You are not offending me by trying to make me a bad person, you are proving the point.

6. greendream

greendream Cohort

Feb 11, 2014

I'm not pointing out that you're a bad person. I'm pointing out that your perspective is wildly different from those that you are seeking to help. I.e., that you are unwittingly placing them into the "nerd" category that they would never place themselves in.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 11, 2014

And so is the perspective of so many others in the student body.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

HE'S not placing them there. The classmates bullying, insulting, and teasing them are putting them there.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2014

THIS.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

A bit off topic...

I love seeing the people who called me a nerd in middle and/or high school. Many of them have children who attend my school. They'll usually say something along the lines of, "Wow...you've done really well in life!"

One person (a dad of two kids) actually apologized for calling me a nerd and teasing me throughout middle school. Interestingly enough, I was meeting with him because one of his own children was being a bully!

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2014

I'm in the minority here.
    I think people are offended too easily.

Maybe call it...
    Your future boss day
    or future millionaire day

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2014

Yep. And yep.
    Me too.
    Yes they are.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

It's fun reading through this topic and seeing the people that obviously weren't bullied throughout high school and middle school.

14. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 11, 2014

Which users do you feel weren't bullied?

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

You, for one. At the very least, I'm guessing you were never bullied for being perceived by your peers as a nerd.

16. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 11, 2014

Not at all. I was a hybrid. I just refuse to play victim for the rest of my life.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

That's cool. I spent most of high school on the verge of suicide because of being bullied. Mostly because I was perceived as a nerd. One of my few friends in high school came spent time in a psychiatric ward after attempting suicide. Mostly due to being bullied for being a "nerd." You'll have to excuse me if this seems like a sore subject.

18. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 11, 2014

Being a "nerd" is such a powerful thing. I would have given anything...

19. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

You wouldn't have wanted it had you been ostracized by your peers and treated as a complete social pariah. Or if you had to avoid bathrooms along the main hallway because getting a "swirly" was a legitimate fear. Or if basketball month in gym was always the worst month of the year because you just knew that you were going to get seriously hurt with a "whoops, sorry I was going for the ball" in response.

20. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 11, 2014

Have you had therapy?

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

Yes, actually.

22. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 11, 2014

You really cannot see how having a day where you dress up and act like those that are mocked and teased everyday is a bad idea?

23. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 11, 2014

I "see" fine, I just haven't changed my mind.

I have a lot more I want to say, but due to this thread I now have several PMs that are encouraging me to back off.

Adios. :)

24. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

I'm a grown-up now. College was a "whole new world" for me. I just have empathy for high schoolers that went through the type of hell I went through. Over being considered a "nerd."

I honestly don't know how somebody who works with children can't see the problem with a school sponsored day which will exacerbate the very real bullying that kids have to deal with. I don't know how 15 year old me would have handled a "nerd day" at my school. If my classmates handled it how I would have expected them to though, I don't think it's being overly dramatic to think I would have at least required hospitalization, if not a mortician.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  25. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 11, 2014

I can't believe where this thread has gone...

There are so many great themed days out there. Why choose one that's such a hot button issue?

26. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Feb 11, 2014

Don't back off due to PMs. Back off to the folly of your thinking.

27. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 11, 2014

What?! And bow to the hive mind?!

Never! :cool:

Bye nerds!

(kidding)

28. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 11, 2014

I, for one, am most deeply offended by tie-dye t-shirt day. How dare they mock the hippie culture!

29. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2014

Those comparisons aren't valid because students are TEASED AND BULLIED for being 'nerds' in school. Cowboys and zombies are not. An event like this makes certain students targets and that is completely unacceptable in my book.

In this context, dressing up like a nerd is often times making fun of them. If I were one of these 'nerds' and if there was a day where everyone dressed up like me, I would not want to go to school. Not for one second.

30. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 11, 2014

Wow, are formerly bullied students on this board now being bullied for reacting in a certain way? Not kosher.

31. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Feb 12, 2014

The students in my class make fun of "nerds", "blacks", and"gays". For this reason, I was very upset to find out that my school was having a nerd day. "Nerd" is a put-down term in those kids'eyes. I am against it. One of my students actually asked me if I was a nerd when I was in school. And added,"You know, someone who doesn't have any friends and never does anything fun. Wears funny glasses and studies." I think nerd is usually a derogatory term, at least it is where I live.

32. Loves the beach

Feb 12, 2014

Also, nerds are seen as people who have no life, at least that's what my students have said. I think certain terms aren't necessarily wrong to use (such as calling someone black, white, etc). It depends on how that term is used. Sadly, several of my students use these terms as put-downs. So why have a dress up day for that group of people? It would just make them look different in a silly, exaggerated, possibly embarrassed way. What if schools had a Teacher Day and students wore big glasses and combed their hair in unbecoming ways? Chose unpopular styles of clothing to wear that day? Would we as teachers enjoy that day? Would any of us go home and analyze our hairstyle and wardrobe? Would we feel empowered,or would we feel embarrassed and self-conscious?

33. Loves the beach

Feb 12, 2014

I was made fun of for being shy and unattractive. I hated myself because I didn't know how to change in order to please my peers. If I had been considered a nerd, I would have felt betrayed by every principal and teacher at that school for allowing a day like that to take place. I am not easily offended, but this topic hits home, and I can't believe that with the emphasis placed on bullying now, we are having a nerd day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.