Nepotism going on in your district?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 24, 2009

I was reading some posts in the Job Seeking area last night and stumbled across a post which made me think of the nepotism abounding in my district. This person was shocked when she found out 12 people had been hired and the district had only posted 2 positions on their web site.

This is obviously, blatant nepotism... has to be.

My district has been sued twice in the past four years because of teachers being passed over for principal positions. They were
    qualified but were over looked because they were black and female, white males were hired. They won their law suit, were awarded a cash settlement, and the next principal positions were given to them.

I know when I tried to get in my present district I had to wait for the superintendent to hire his preacher's wife, then a school board member's wife was hired... sister-in-laws of board members... Most recently the district hired (never advertised the position) for the coveted librarian's job. They "gave" it to the high school librarian's daughter who was a one year teacher in another district with no library science hours at all. It really burns me up because we have some teachers on our campus who would have loved to have had the job.

And... we let them get away with it.

Do you know of any nepotism going on in your district?

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 24, 2009

Yes.... I have been "teaching" in my district for a few years now. I don't work for them because of my program, but I am in one of their schools teaching their children under their principal with their parents (past and present) telling me how great I am. And last year a close relative of someone on the school board was hired straight from college for a position I am more than qualified for, and the position was never posted.

It's RIDICULOUS and infuriating, but what can you do?

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 24, 2009

I hate the "it's who you know" crap.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 24, 2009

The "who you know" crap is illegal.

6. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 24, 2009

Exactly.
    I wanted to do something about it so badly when I was a substitute teacher for the district I was working for.
    It was ridiculous, demeaning, and terrible for the kids honestly.
    The people that they are 'giving' positions to are morons. (no exaggeration)

7. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 24, 2009

The principal that hired me still refers to me as the teacher with the cute a_ _. I guess that is how I got the job since I was a newcomer to the area and not related to anyone. I have seen jobs get filled after being posted for 2 days since they have to post openings. I have seen jobs created for people that needed a job.

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 24, 2009

My district HAS to post jobs to be filled, but you can bet they are lined up ahead of time and interviews really don't matter. It's disgusting and unfair. Since its illegal, what can you do if you feel that you were overlooked on purpose?

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2009

Although my district has had nepotism problems in the past, they claim that all that has gone away- but it hasn't, there are TONS of people working in positions they are unqualified for, but they know someone. It didn't work in my favor though (not that I tried to use that as an "in")- my MIL works in the same district, and after I was a LTS for a year I didn't get hired after my interview- I put in another whole year and got hired directly from my principal.

10. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 25, 2009

The city divisions in Saskatchewan don't hire anyone without an in. _____________ Public had a position created based on "class size" at a school for the son of the Director of Education - average class size at the school at the time? 28 - well below the 35 necessary for a new teacher based on division policy.

Add to it that the teacher regularly abuses his position and seduces interns and probationary teachers based on the fact that he tells them if things go well he can get them a job, and of course its illegal.

Now prove it.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2009

Does it have to be nepotism?

Or could there have been district employees who had been laid off in a tough economy who got these jobs because, having already worked in the district, they were a "sure thing" as opposed to an unknown

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 25, 2009

I've gotten jobs before because of "who I know," though I was not related to anyone at the school or in the district. Also, I was qualified for those jobs. I've also not gotten jobs that I was very qualified for because they needed to place a teacher in a job for whatever reason: related to principal, recently laid off, etc. These teachers were often not as qualified for the job as I was, but they were already in the system. Having been on both sides of it (sortof) I can say that it all works out in the end.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 25, 2009

I also completely disagree with hiring someone strictly because of who they know, however...

I know for a fact our district closed several schools this year and those teachers have to be hired first, as Alice indicated-we have a hiring freeze for anyone who is not those teachers (we actually just hired one of them because we didn't have a choice).

Also our HR website isn't always up-to-date with their postings. Often a school gives them the opening, but it takes 2 weeks to post it, by the time it's posted, it's already been filled.

Our P knew our Super and got the job over our highly qualified AP. He also has done an amazing job and I think we're really lucky to have him.

14. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 25, 2009

Nepotism exists in our district for teaching positions and administrative positions. We have a new principa,l who has only ever been an AP, at a school that was tough for veteran administrators. We couldn't figure out why that happened. Oh wait....his aunt is his boss. I wish I could say he is a great or even a good leader, but he just isn't.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 25, 2009

Yes, My principal hired another principal's daughter-in-law....but in my community 75% of the people are kin to each other. So is it nepotism? Or is it that the candidate pool can't help be kin to someone. And if they are kin to someone, should the principals not hire them? By the way, when you are looking at first year teachers(which several of our new teachers are) do you look at student teaching experience or do you look at personal references? And could it be that the personal references that carry more weight is those that are already in the district? And for the record, my husband was in the district for 8 years before I applied. Did I get the job because I was his wife???? I asked the Principal and Supt. both told me "No", but that they interviewed me because of him. I got the job on my own. I had over 15 years experience, I was NBPTS, and I was trained in numerous programs that made me marketable. But because they chose to interview me is that nepotism? My husband NEVER asked for me to be interviewed.

Also, the best teachers that my children have ever had were coach's wives. They both got their jobs as a package deal to get better coaches in the district. And thank God that they did. And for the record, they were better teachers than their husbands were coaches.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 25, 2009

I work for a pretty large district & although I only know of a couple sets of people who are related that work for the dist, I'm sure there's probably a lot more I don't know about.

- I know of a teacher, who's daughter is one of the SLPs (speech-language pathologists).

- I know of the director of personnel who's stepdaughter is one of the special ed aides.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 25, 2009

My first teaching job was under my mother as a principal. I was not hired by her-I worked by butt off to present a great lesson to the hiring committee. I'm sure I got the interview because of her, but I earned the job on my own merits. When I was officially hired, I signed a personal contract with her-I wouldn't call her 'mom' at school, wouldn't talk about our personal life, etc. We kept it very professional. She was an amazing mentor and support system during my first year-she shaped the teacher I am today. She made me turn in lesson plans every week, even though other teachers didn't have to. She evaluated me more than them, etc. I was kept on my toes! I can imagine it works the opposite in other schools, though. Relatives get to slack off. We both knew our reputations were on the line, so we worked harder because of it, I think.

I can see how it would be very frustrating if the people teaching weren't doing a very good job. But many teachers have parents or relatives that were/are teachers and principals. It seems to run in families. To discount them just because they have a relative working in the district isn't fair-if the performance is low, then ok. But think how many people follow their parents into a career. If you live in the same area as your parents, then you may not have a choice about the district you work for. Would you really turn down an opportunity for a job simply because your parent worked there?? Wouldn't that make it MORE appealing??

That's the only case I've 'seen', though. I'm not sure if I've lost jobs because of it-if I don't get a job, I trust it's because someone else was a better fit. I've never been bitter over not getting a job at the interview stage-disappointed, but not enough to figure out why.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2009

Also, just for the record, I got my current job before it was posted. In fact, I got it before the principal knew it existed.

I had worked in my current school from its opening in 1987 until I quit in 2000 to be home with my kids. When I was ready to return to work in 2005, they didn't have an opening right away. They asked me to let them know before I accepted a job anywhere else.

Before long, I had 2 job offers. I called, and they hired me on the spot, not knowing exactly what I would teach. (Worst case scenario, any of the religious brothers who were teaching math could have switched to relgion, and bumped another brother into another subject area.) Then, a few weeks later, when a member of the math department moved, they called to let me know what I was teaching.

To anyone who hadn't been in the building for at least 5 years, it would have looked like I "knew someone" because the job was never posted. And I DID-- I knew a good part of the faculty and the whole adminstration because I had already worked there 13 years.

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 25, 2009

Alice, you'd already had your foot in the door and had proved yourself more than worthy, and Jem, I bet your mom kept your foot to the fire knowing what would go on if she hadn't.

The cases that bother me are the ones which present the lawsuits. My district admin has whined about not being able to give raises the past couple of years because of the law suits they've been involved in. It's a ploy to make the teachers mad at those who sought litigation, and for some who don't realize the district has liability insurance for such cases do get mad at the ones issuing a suit. The district's insurance paid the settlement, and, yes, they pay liability insurance premiums, but it's not like we didn't get a raise because someone sued the district.

I'm just upset for the teacher down the hall having to drag herself to the university 3 nights a week to get her Master's in Elem. Ed., when she could have finished up a Library Science Masters on-line in half the time. This position should have been offered to the teachers on my campus before hiring an outsider with no experience at all. The girl who got the job doesn't do her work and shouldn't have been rehired for the second year. Her grandparents come in every day and do her work while she bosses them around. My district is one of the highest paying in the State and we could have gotten a seasoned, dynamic librarian instead of the dud they hired.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2009

My issue is more with tenure-- the idea that 3 years of decent work gives you a job for life.

I understand why it exists (and, no, I don't have it. Our school offers a version of it that doesn't mean much, but I have to be back on staff another 2 years before I can earn it. And, even so, it only gives me the right to an "Oh, Please!!!" on the way out the door, not a guarantee.)

Still, I see SO MANY weak teachers out there who put in their 3 years and now are set as long as they keep their hands off the kids.

21. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 25, 2009

It has happened in my district, They just make sure they don't put people in the same building.

22. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 25, 2009

I can't speak for the OP, but in my situation it IS nepotism. Blatantly. When you have a list of long term leave replacements moving around the district for YEARS waiting for a permanent position to be open, and teachers doing a great job in a program already in your school that you KNOW are looking for permanent positions, and you bypass all of them and hire someone straight out of college without so much as a mention of the position to any of the other people, and it turns out to be a person related to a higher up in the district, that's just wrong. Plain and simple. Even worse when the new teacher turns out to be not that good.

23. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 25, 2009

Where I used to live, it is the only way to land a teaching job. So horrible... :(

Oh well, at least I'm not living there anymore and no longer have to deal with the frustrations of not even getting an interview. DH and I never wanted to settle there anyway. :)

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2009

Here, not at all.

Where I am from- you had to be related to someone to get a job. They'd interview tons of people, but unless you were related, you were not hired. The year I was given an interview in my alma matter, the only position went to the police chief's daughter.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2009

There is NO nepotism in my district. As a matter of fact, two teachers met at school a few years ago and got married - he was tenured, she wasn't. She was let go. If she had been tenured, they would have transferred one to the other school as they won't keep married people in the same school.

I don't consider it nepotism if you meet and get married...seriously, what's the problem? One day you are just colleagues and that's fine-regardless of your personal relationship, the next day you get married then it's nepotism...Consider this: we have two teachers who have shacked up and had a baby without getting married but they aren't considered under the nepotism rules, but if they got married they would be....weird...doesn't matter in my district whether or not one has supervisory over the other- no spouses, kids, relatives work in the same building.

Maybe if one was the administrator or supervisor of one's spouse, relative, child, sibling-then it might cause jealousies, accusations of special treatment...that should be avoided.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2009

It's a huge problem where I live. I tried for two years in getting a job in the district. I finally got a job as an aide which I'm hoping will lead to a full time teaching position. One of the teachers I work with (in her class) was doing my job last year. When a position opened up in Feb, she automatically got the job. It showed up on the website in late March, early April. In our school alone, we have two married couples. The husbands are teachers and the wives are aides. Our whole district is abounded with spouses. I'm hoping it works in our favor when my dh finishes his degree.