Neighbors!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by gigi, Aug 6, 2005.

1. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 6, 2005

Ok, I am going crazy. The house next door is rented all through the summer, one week at a time. We never know who will be coming in and it can be unnerving at times. Sometime after we went to bed Thursday night, people arrived. 2 cars, a truck, loaded. Yesterday with temps in the 90's of course these people would be outside enjoying the water. The noise was unbelievable, this is a quiet neighborhood. That's ok, it was noise of people enjoying themselves, but! The Dad uses a lot of foul language and it went on until dark. Of course they invite their friends by the car loads and that adds to the noise and language. We live on a private dirt road and they block the road with the cars. Thankfully at night the bugs forced them inside. We have tried speaking to the owner countless times, and his answer is to speak to the renters, he has nothing to do with it! We put up a vinyl fence for some privacy, but the noise! It is especially difficult when the beer and liquor starts flowing and the noise level gets higher. Have any of you had to deal with something like this, and if so how? My husband works nights and I am really not comfortable approaching drunken strangers at 10 at night to quiet down. Thank goodness for biting mosquitos!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2005

Does your town have a noise ordinance? If it does, that might be of some help and the property owner would get cited for the violation. Just a thought.

4. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 6, 2005

The town does not have a noise ordinace, small NH town. I wish it did!

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 6, 2005

We actually called the police on noisy, unruly neighbors once. It was a repeated situation where every weekend, they had tons of cars and people over, making all sorts of noise until very late at night. They even had live bands at the parties they threw in the backyard. The houses here are pretty close together! It was hard to call the police, but it did the trick, they didn't have any more parties which were quite so out of control for awhile.

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2005

gigi, I could have written your post not long ago. We had neighbors, a husband and wife, who were a trip. The husband got high each evening after work, but at least he stayed in the house until it wore off. Even when he was messed up though, he was a nice guy. The wife, on the other hand, was rude, bossy, pushy and a pig. She would get high and drink on the weekends, then go out back to throw up- and just leave it there.
    She decided our yards should be cut the same day, so she'd wait for us to leave on Sunday and cut our grass- flowers and all. When I finally put a fence up she was livid. She came home the afternoon I put it up, stopped her car, stormed over and said 'I guess I'm not cutting YOUR grass anymore, huh?'
    After more of this type of crap they split up and moved. Three days after she left the wife came back and stole some of our wicker pieces off our porch. I know it was her for 2 reasons. #1, she took pieces she didn't already have, in order to complete her set. #2, I saw her some weeks later and told her a lie about spilling coffee on the wicker table we USED to have before she STOLE it. Her red face told me all I needed to know.

Gigi, se if your town has a rental property ordinance that holds landlords accountable for their tenants. Our town just adopted such an ordinance. It makes landlords accountable for upkeep, behavior of tenants, and any issues concerning the rental property.
    Best wishes. I'm like you, my husband is on third shift, too.

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 6, 2005

Wow, a month ago I would have complained about our renting neighbors, but I see you have it much worse! There is a large house right behind ours on a cul-de-sac. It has been rented the whole time we have lived here, and the renters were responsible and quiet (except for a large, barking dog that we got used to). They moved out around Christmas and the owner put the house up for sale, then eventually got new renters around the beginning of May. When we saw them move in, we thought they were strippers. I remember it being a chilly day in the 60s and they had on mini skirts, super high heels and tank tops. There were also 1-2 inoperable vehicles they had to push into the garage. This house has a full basement and a total of 3500-4000 square feet, so all their friends (mostly men) moved in too. There must have been around 6 people but it was hard to tell because there were so many people there going in and out all the time. The cul-de-sac was always full and they stayed up all night. People would come and go in their loud cars with the music & bass turned up at 2 and 3 in the morning. They also had 2 pit bulls in the back yard. The first weekend they were here, there was a big fight outside and one of the girls ran to a neighbor's house at 3 in the morning to call 911. That wasn't the only time the police came. We saw them one other time, and other neighbors saw the police there at last 2 other times. Keep in mind this is an extremely quiet neighborhood... most people are 35+ with kids and in bed by 10.

Anyway, this went on for almost 2 months, then we saw a U-HAUL in the cul-de-sac on a Sunday afternoon. Sure enough, they pulled it up to the house at 11 p.m. and started moving, and they moved all night... took their last trip around 10:30 a.m. the next morning. Come to find out, they had been evicted.

With a weekly rental situation, it sounds like you don't have that sort of resolution to look forward to, especially since the owner won't help... I think I would be calling the police. If nothing else, they might be able to tell you what your options are.

8. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 8, 2005

HI all,
    Sorry for your troubles, but glad to know I am not the only one that has this problem! Our weekend was h---. I did call the police. The noise level wasn't bad until the kids went to bed. All day cars arrived with a total of ten. They pitched tents in the back yard! My elderly neighbor behind us came over and was a wreck! The kids went to bed and the fun began. Screaming, yelling, music. I went to bed with the a/c on and the windows shut, but at 1AM they woke me up. Everyone was out on the pier playing music and singing. LOUD. I went outside, still on my side of the fence and asked them to quiet down. TWICE. They yelled obsentities and I called the police. They came down, turned around and left and I thought, oh boy that was worthless. They went for backup! There were so many people they wanted backup. Whent they approached the house they talked to them, told them if they had to come back it would be a $100 fine. When the police left they all went out and were laughing that the b---- next door called the police! I called them again, and they turned around and came back. Today they had to leave. I had given the police the landlords name and address and they called. The police did tell me it was the landlords problem, and I told them he wants us to handle it, "talk" to them. If they think I am appoaching 10 - 12 drunk adults, they have rocks in their head!
    Becky, I am going to check about the landlord property ordinance, it sure would help. We should have called the police years ago, but hate to make waves. Now I am going to call every time it happens.
    Thanks all for the advise and sharing. It sure helped! Now, for a quiet week on the pond, those idiots have gone home to terrorize THEIR neighbors!

9. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 8, 2005

Oh here was another thing that upset me. The police said that because we live on a private road, they do not include us in their routine patrols. I pay taxes big time, and would like some coverage. I called the station Sunday morning, and explained about hubby working nights and with these people next door I was nervous. They said they would pass the info along and "do the best they could checking down here daily." What do you think about that? I was ANGRY!

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2005

Hmmm... sounds familiar. We live 200 ft out of city limits, and have the same problem with police. They're not the only city service that we've had trouble with.
    Funny story: A few years ago the city tried to annex our subdivision. We voted it down. The next day our trash was not picked up. It gets better. After a month of not having our trashed picked up (and several angry phone calls), we decided to go to a county trash service. By-the-way, we still had 2 months paid for from the city trash service. Heres the funny part: Last year we recieved a letter from the city trash service asking us to bring our buisness back to them. The entire sub-division wrote letters (some angry) explaining why we would not be using them for our trash service.

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 10, 2005

We don't get regular police patroling through becauase we're on a cul-de-sac. It is extremly rare to see police on our street. Usually only when they have a reason to be there.

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2005

I am so glad I don't live in a neighborhood with rental properties. However, sometimes permanant neighbors can be just as bad, or worse. When my husband and I first moved into our town after college we lived in a 4-family duplex. We didn't know it at the time, but we soon found out that it was a troublesome neighborhood. If you stood in the middle of our living room you could smell the pot coming through the vents. The police were around our block almost every day for busting someone for doing something, AND we lived in a cul-de-sac as well. We thought it would be nice if we had a child by then, being in a cul-de-sac, but little did we know that it was the worst crime area in our county. It was like living in a smaller version of Milwaukee (AHH!).

13. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 12, 2005

Our neighborhood is very quiet, we have only 2 summer cottages on our street, one behind me and the people are very nice, and the one next to us with the renters. During holidays, especially 4th of July it can be noisy, but that is the exception. Usually it is happy noise, people enjoying the water and the area. But every now and then we hit a snag and last weekend was the worst.
    I did ask the police to patrol and haven't seen a cruiser yet. Unbelievable. At town meeting I should ask if my taxes can be reduced as I get no routine patrols.
    Can you imagine living next to this group on a day to day basis? UGH!

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2005

Are these people back every summer? Maybe you can talk to the landlord and ask that those people not get to rent again. I feel bad for their real neighbors if that's what they are like all the time. Not very friendly or respectful.

15. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 12, 2005

Gigi- you said you live on a private road---does that mean you are outside of city limits? I live outside the city limits & don't have police coverage, but the sheriff patrols our subdivision. If the city police aren't helping, have you tried calling the sheriff's office?

16. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 12, 2005

HI
    No, Musicteach, I live well within the city limits. The town does not maintain our road, plow it or fix it. Years ago they did, but that hasn't happened in a lot of years. I don't know how they got away with deciding not to maintain it any longer.
    JenPooh, these people have rented this property at least twice before, not yearly, but for a week at a time during the past few years. The landlord could care less. Many times we have gone over to complain. He wants us to "talk" to them. No way. From now on I talk through calling the police. After a while these people won't come any more because they know that the police will be called.

17. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 15, 2005

Ok gals, here's another for you. As I said we live on a private dirt road, my husband maintains it when he can with our Kabota, dragging it, filling holes, etc. As you can imagine it can be rough, in a few places there are stumps, but those will have to wait until we can get them out. I also mentioned that we live on the water, people who live behind us share a beach at the end of the road. A family on the corner uses it that beach as their living room, and it is noisy on weekends. They have an aggressive dog, it will chase your car and put it's head in your car window and growl, I am afraid it will bite me. Forget about speaking to these people, it is useless, and some other residents on the road have called the dog officer, as soon as he leaves the dog is let loose. Money is not a problem, they pay the fine. SO! My daughter is scared to death of this dog, and it stuck it's head in her car window and she almost wet her pants. She called the dog officer and they got fined. I don't know why they don't take this dog away, but again, small town. Anyway they found out that she did, and they yell at her whenever she drives by. Unfortunately it is the only way out to the main road, no option to go another way. Sunday I yelled at the dog to get away from my car. Sunday afternoon we are out on the deck, enjoying the water, iced coffee and a good book, and two ladies walk down my driveway. When I asked what they wanted, they said they wanted the driver of "that" car. My daughters. I again asked what they wanted and they said she was speeding down the road. It so happens my husband was out with the tractor dragging the road, so they got caught in their lies. I told them to leave. Again they started in, and I told them we put up with their drunkness, noise AND DOG, to please leave or I would call the police. Well, obviously, we are aggressive and angry people so they would call the police. When does this end? We are quiet, I NEVER allow my kids or their friends to play loud music, use foul language or do anything to bother other people outside. Of course they ask why not, THEY ARE, meaning the neighbors, but I tell them we aren't ignorant, and we just don't. I can't wait for the summer to be over so I can enjoy some peace and quiet!!

18. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

jenpooh quick question. In a few years or so my husband and I are planning on moving to the Milwaukee area. After reading your post I got worried that we would move to a bad city there. Where you lived was that in the Milwaukee area? If you don't want to say where just tell me what direction the city is from Milwaukee.
    Thanks!

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2005

I know you are asking JenPooh, but I just want to add that I have always read and been told that Milwaukee is a high crime area. I would never move there.

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2005

I too know you were addressing JenPooh, but to the west of MIlwaukee, between Madison and Milwaukee, there are some very nice areas..........Hartland, Oconomowoc, Also, Cedarburg is a nice area too. I believe it is just in the city that the real bad areas are. There are really some nice school districts in that area. Look to the outskirts.

21. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

Thank you all for your input. I have family that lives in Wauwatosa and they love it there, but that's about the only connection we have with Milwaukee. We will live in a suburb but it can't be too far from the city because that is where my husband will work. He will work in downtown Milwaukee, or just about. Thank you all so much.