Negatives about Whole Brain Teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lotte, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 25, 2012

I've been really inspired by Whole Brain Teaching and watching the videos I feel it would fit my teaching style and personality.
    I would like to incorporate it mainly in my morning meeting time and other mini lessons we have. (As seen in this video: http://pinterest.com/pin/124552745914400073/ )

I've read some about it as well, but I'm feeling a bit insecure as to whether it can be as fantasticas it seems?
    Did anybody here try it out but decided to quit?
    Or any other reasons for not trying it out?

It will be very different from the general teahcing styles in my school (and country, really ;) ), but it looks like kids are more interactive in their own learning with WBT?

Thanks in advance!

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2012

I LOVE it. It's not something you would do all day every day as it is exhausting, but it's great for driving home important lessons and ideas.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 25, 2012

Wholeheartedly agree!!!!!! :thumb:

5. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2012

Biggest negative that I have found is that it can take a significant amount of energy more than usual. Especially in the beginning. I think some of it has its positives (have seen that first hand), but overall, just not my style.

6. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Jun 25, 2012

I agree that the energy level can be very draining, but it's the best fit for my teaching style that I've found. I think that is its only negative.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 25, 2012

You also have to remember that it's not fit for every student either. While it might be great for certain teacher personalities and some kids will love it, it would not have been good for me as a student. It would have really been overwhelming for me . . . too much action from the teacher and too many things I needed to do. I was one of those quiet book, pencil, and paper kids.

8. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 26, 2012

Thanks for sharing!

I'll have to think some more about it then, I already have another project inthat class that might take a lot of energy.. Hmm..

Maybe it's possible to practise doing it with less energy?

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 26, 2012

I think it's more of a hit with younger kids. 8th through 12th seem to find it nonsensical, and babyish.

10. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 26, 2012

That's my guess too. I'll be using it in 1st grade

I have watched more videos and found some that made me stressed out. I think maybe the teachers do it to much? It seems intense and reminded me of a military bootcamp.

I like the relaxed feeling of the classroom that the teacher in my first post shows. That's the way I think will come naturally to me, hopefully

11. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Jun 26, 2012

I found myself picking and choosing from the techniques of WBT. I LOVE the class rules, because they cover all the basics, and have the two catch all rules (make smart choices and keep your teacher happy). I drill those into the kids and will randomly verbally quiz them on them.

The Class! Yes! echo can work well, but I found some kids saw it too much of a game. If I ever used the word class in ANY context, they would obnoxiously shout YES! At that point it became a distraction and disruption, having the opposite of the intended effect.

Teach-Reteach could be a good technique but it never worked with my kids. That may be because I work with smaller class sizes so it was sometimes hard to pair the kids up. They're also 10th and 11th graders so to them to seemed childish.

12. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

I have actually used it with great success with 8th graders, and with college classes.

1) Energy levels- you can practice it at low or high energy levels. The point to the method is to make it fit your own teaching style. Think of WBT not as a new way to do everything, rather as a new way to do anything.

2) Draining- In some ways it can be, however you should note the type of draining. Rather than walking out at the end of the day emotionally exhausted from trying to ride herd on 30 kids with my own personality overbearing theirs I walk out feeling as though I have had a nice workout.

3) Types of kids- I have a lot of success with every kind of kid. I have an enormous range of abilities and styles. While I have had many kids who claim they only learn pencil and paper, which by the way is completely contradicted by all current research, once they try this method they do report success, and a much more interesting class than typical methods. Also remember that just because you are using WBT does not mean you do not also use traditional methods along with it.

4) Class!-Yes! obnoxiousness- That is actually really easy to overcome with specific directive feedback and practice. A lot of kids have a tendency to mess with this but getting the behavior you want from them is really easy wth practice.

5) Too babyish for older kids- Not at all! You do not use the same methods with older kids in the same way you would with younger ones. Here is an example of the 5 step lesson plan with some older kids.

I use this with college students as well. You modify the way you do things according to the students you are working with.

13. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 30, 2012

Maybe it'll save me from buying a new gym membership :lol:

I'm leaning towards trying it out anyway, just need to find good translations to the words being used.
    I'm leaning towards using the Norwegian word for "kids" instead of "class", as it is a short word with fewer syllables.
    And also switch out "teach" with the Norwegian word for "show"(as in "show me you can do it too".

Thanks everyone :)

14. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jun 30, 2012

I sometimes use the score chart in classes where I substitute, especially if I know the group needs an incentive to behave with a sub. The happy/sad face works well. I do find it hard to remember to give the positive marks though. If someone calls out without raising their hand, it is easy to remember to mark a sad face. But when kids are behaving correctly, I forget to mark it because behaving well is my regular expectation. It is an extra thing I have to think about making sure I do.

15. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jun 30, 2012

I pick and choose what to use and when to use it.