Negative feedback from former administrator

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mtm672, Jul 17, 2010.

1. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I just found out that the former principal is not giving me a nice reference. I was only there one year and really did not do anything wrong, yet I was labeled not be hired back. I feel like I am ruined trying to get a teaching job. All of the years of work and study and one person can trash me? I feel like my career is over....

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 17, 2010

Just curious...how do you know this? Did the P tell you or is it second hand info? If you are truly concerned, I would contact him/her and ask about it.

4. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I was just hired by another district and principal. The new principal told me that the former teacher was coming back to the class. I asked if all of my references were good, that was when i was told the former prin would not hire me back. This is absolutely devastating to me, teaching was my life now I am uncertain of my future.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

I'm a little confused... You were non-renewed. You were then hired at a new place. New place then turned around and told you that you would not be hired as planned, citing a returning teacher. You then asked new place about your references from old place and were told that one of them was not good. Is that correct?

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

If you were hired, did you sign or recieve a letter of intent or a contract? Were you approved by the school board or HR? If you were hired, I don't understand how you could be released because the old teacher wanted her job back?

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

I'd definitely work on speaking with the P. Do you have any copies of reviews? Maybe something else that could countermand the P's negative comment?

8. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I had just interviewed last Wed, the new principal was in the interview and called me the next day to offer me a position at her school. She was checking my references and things seemed great. I had not signed a contract, I thought that was next.

9. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Yes that is absolutely correct. Oh this is awful, I was a complete professional to the former site.

10. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I am scared to even call the former principal, this is so out of the blue. I feel like a big Do Not Hire is stamped on me.

11. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

Do you have any idea at all why the past P would not give you a good reference?

12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

Don't be afraid. What's the worst it could be? He/she REALLY doesn't like you now instead of just doesn't like you.

Why do you think you got the bad reference? Did you have bad reviews, weak classroom management, or was it a personality thing or what? (Not being nosy, just want to help you)

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

Ok. First, take a deep breath and stop freaking out.

This is not the end of the world. I know, because I had an absolutely horrible reference from an AP who literally wrote on the form "Do Not Hire." I only know this b/c someone screwed up at the DO and sent ME the personal, confidential references. That's about as bad as it gets.

Second, you can't really do damage control until you know what your old P said. Were you given a reason when you were let go?

Third, Like I said, it's not the end of the world. I managed to get a job at the best school in the same county. I love my job and am thrilled to have it, but I had to walk on some brimstone before I got it.

14. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

So you were actually offered the job before the new principal checked your references and then they checked your references and the hire didn't go through?

15. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

Did you have an evaluation done while at your last school? Do you have anything in writing from that evaluation?

16. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Yes that is correct. I just happened to ask about my references, and was told the info about former P.

Not trying to be melodramatic but I am devastated

17. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I was new to being a case manager. One of my students a senior did not turn in a certain paper and her grades were dropping. I did everything except write the paper. She did not graduate and the P felt that I could have prevented that. This is just not the case, the student dropped the ball and I pay for it. I was blamed for her mistake and now it follows me as a new teacher.

18. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I am scared because new schools / districts will see this as a red flag and not hire me.

19. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

So... if you could get a "redo" on that situation would you do anything different this time around?

20. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Thank You So Much, I greatly appreciate your insight!

I am trying not to freak out, getting ready to go for a long walk. I have been breathing deeply too. Reading your post inspires me and helps greatly. This is a tough job market and I have worked so hard to get my credentials.

21. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

In hindsight yes

22. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

Well that should mean something. Being able to reflect and see what you would change is a quality that is needed as a teacher. In 19 years I have had several situations come along that I would love to have a "do-over" on. It doesn't make me a teacher that shouldn't be hired... it makes me human.

Not sure what you can do to repair the reputation that your old principal seems to be giving you but it does seem you may need to do something. Hopefully someone has a good answer for you.

23. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

Well, that is great news, because you always get asked what is your weakness or what don't you like about teaching at interviews and now you have a perfect answer.

You can explain the circumstance and explain what you learned from it and how it has made you a better teacher. :cool:

I would also keep copies of previous reviews if you have any that show your good reports and people can judge for themselves.

Just to clarify, you do or do not have the job where the P heard bad stuff from the former P?

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

My situation was similar - the AP and I had different ideas about how to teach. I like to empower my students by challenging them and having them take ownership of their learning. She liked to empower them by dumbing down the curriculum to ensure everyone passed.

Every interview after that, if I was asked about that particular school or reference, I just said that I had a different philosophy and method of teaching and that I was not a good fit at that school. I never got whiny or complain-y.

25. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

See... you already got a couple of ideas for great approaches to take with the next interviews :). Be sure not the take on the roll of victim in all this.

26. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I do not have the job. The other teacher was transferring to another site and is coming back. The new P called me this morning to inform me. I just happened to ask about my references...

27. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Joyful,

Also a thank you for the insight, I have been on four interviews this month and in two they asked that question. Now I have a chance to answer and hopefully not be judged.

28. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

Well, you know you have the chops to get on these interviews because you have been to several. Now you know what you're going to say, so all that is left is the right circumstances for you. I am sure you will get a great position at the right school. Keep us in the loop. I'm sure we will be congratulating you very soon!

29. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Thank You! I am feeling so much better... I will absolutely use all of this excellent insight and spring forward positively. I must say Thank You to all of you... seriously your help is invaluable and I am getting a better picture. No playing victim or blaming or getting mad, I just need to move on and learn.

30. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

I just read this whole thread, and am very impressed with your attitude. The fact that you are now able to see this situation in a better light shows that you have the resiliency required to be a successful teacher. Good luck!

31. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

Do you know if this was a written reference or a verbal one? If it was written then you need to write a rebuttal for your file. In it you should talk about what you did right and wrong that year and what you learned and would do to fix the issues. Also if you have copies of your evaluations you should submit that with it. Any letters of recommendation from others in your field would be good too.

If you had issues in certain areas consider training or college coursework to shore up those areas.

Verbal references are harder to rebut as you don't really know what they said or are going to say. But forewarned is forearmed and you can try to mitigate the damage by talking about how much you have improved in those areas. Even though you didn't end up with that job you are very lucky that the principal liked you enough to want you and that they told you about this reference.

Good luck. There is life and work after a bad review.

32. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Hello, this was a verbal referral from one P to another over the phone. All of my observations were positive and I do have copies. I guess I know now not to use the former P as a reference anymore. I will try to get referrals from the other district I used to sub for. I had a good reputation there. There is a silver lining somewhere in this event, and a light waiting. I guess the challenge is staying positive and believing in myself.

33. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

I feel so bad for you. But everyone is right, this is not the end of the world and you WILL get through this. If asked about this school again in interviews, I would say like the others did and just say that you had different styles and it wasnt a good fit, etc. I would NOT use this place as a reference again. Im not sure if schools will call or not (maybe if its in the same county or nearby) but I would just use other references that you know will be positive. Keep your head up and you will find something soon :)

34. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I feel much better already, and organizing how to manage the situation when it comes up again. Thank You so much

35. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

mtm, I must say that I am also very impressed with your attitude. Most people would feel the urge to bash the principal, point fingers, make excuses, etc.

While I am sure you have your side of the story, you are choosing instead to view this as a learning experience and one that will help you to be an even stronger teacher.

You WILL find another position. There are not many people as open-minded and growth oriented as you appear to be. Things always have a way of working out the way they should....keep putting one foot in front of the other.

36. mtm672

mtm672 Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

I have been reading these posts off and on this evening to help me make sense of this event and how to overcome it. I have to admit its tough on the nerves, talk about learning a lesson, wow! I have noticed that my mind wants to worry and fret, but some how I just know that this will pass. If given the chance to explain my biggest disappointment or question like that, I can be honest and concise and hope they want to give me a chance. Gratitude to all of you, I read these posts and feel sincere hope and reassurance.

37. milteachwife

milteachwife Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

This kind of stuff scares me. What's the whole story?

38. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

I can't add anything to all the good advice you have been given. I just want to wish you good luck and best wishes for a new opportunity to come your way soon!

39. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 18, 2010

I would SO go back and call HR at this district. You have a legal case here!

40. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2010

Eh. Over, done, have a way better job with way better people :)

41. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 18, 2010

I understand that. But unfortunately, they will do it again and the next person may not be quite so lucky. Glad you found a good place to work and things came out great in the end. :)

Hope the same is true in the above situation. Keeping you in my prayers and sending good luck vibes! You landed this position and let's hope the next one will "stick" for you! You deserve it! :)