needs some ideas for projects series...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by corral_gal, Jul 31, 2007.

1. corral_gal

corral_gal Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

i am organizing a 20 week cooking program for my school age after school kids. we will be doing a "cooking" project every other tuesday, but i want it to be no heat or low heat, i am open to he idea of and electric grill, hot plate or crock-pot but want to minimize the risk of potential injury. i need any ideas or recipes for any and all seasons, as this program will run the course of the entire school year.

i really want to get away from the same old thing ( ants on a log, english muffin pizzas, ect.) and sort of focus mainly on healthy snacks (fruit pizzas and salads).

my intention is to let them compile their "recipes" through out the year and have a little cook book at the end of the year.

did get much out of google so i need some help here please!

3. kelbel7583

kelbel7583 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

What about making fruit Kabobs or even mixing together some vegetable dips.

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 31, 2007

An orange julius type drink

In a blender add
    1 Cup vanilla Ice cream
    1 Cup Milk
    1 Cup water
    10 ice cubes
    1/4 cup sugar
    6 oz. orange juice concentrate (frozen) **this can be changed to grape juice or any other juice from concentrate to change the flavor**
    Blend until there are small bits of ice and serve.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2007

I would be a little afraid of a hotplate, because they are not very stable and can be knocked over and/or start fires easily. I love the idea of slow cookers, but you would have to be there for 6-8 hours for the dishes to completely cook. Here are some thoughts off of the top of my head:

Whole wheat grilled cheese (ham & cheese, whatever) sandwiches, using the electric, or George Foreman type of grill

Gorp (a semi healthy snack mix made with lightly salted popcorn (no butter), nuts, raisins, craisins, any other dried fruit, sometimes m&ms, etc. all mixed together)

Here are some websites that I found that have some great recipes -- from main dishes to sides to paninis to desserts!
    www.recipegoldmine.com/grillgf/grillgf.html
    www.321recipes.com/
    www.busycooks.about.com/cs/appliances/a/indoorgrills2.htm

Hope these help! I think your program is a fabulous idea! There are far too many kids getting out of school nowadays who can't boil water, sew a button on, or clean a toilet. They need to be taught how to be self-sufficient! :D

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 31, 2007

Is there any way you could use the school cafeteria kitchen? I bake and cook with my class all the time and have never had a problem with kids getting burnt or cutting themselves.

9. corral_gal

corral_gal Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

thanks to all of you for the great ideas, great links. i agree that the hot plate somewhat worries me, and unfortunately i can not use the cafeteria kitchen, the head of food services is quite difficult to deal with and refuses to let us have more than the necessary space to store afternoon snacks.

this is a great start for my project, i knew u guys would know what to do!! thanx again!!