Needs some advice on Behavior

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms Petunia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Mar 3, 2008

Ahhh what an exhausting day! I would love some advice, I felt so helpless this afternoon and baffled. Here is my dilema, I have a very energetic preschool 4-5 year old classroom this year. Three boys in particular are very very energetic, have extreme difficulty sitting still and can be disrepectful to adults (talking back). Each one has behavior problems at home, 2 of their mothers have told me that they do not listen to them at home. My frustration is "Story Time", it is nearly impossible to read a story without one of them going to time out to the point of disrupting the rest of the class. Today all three of the boys were naughty at the same time. One was yelling no at the top of his lungs, the second ran around the classroom away from the aid and the third was laughing at me crawling around the rug (steam out of my ears). In order to get the class in control I had to shut off the lights and raise my voice once again. I am not the type of teacher that controls the class by raising her voice and I do not want a repeat of today. My principal does not support me in sending them to his office he feels they are too young. Thanks for your ear and any help.

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2008

why even have those particular boys join your reading group? They could sit at a table with the aide and just listen to what the others are enjoying. After reading part of a book; invite them and see if they would like to sit with their peers. If they start up again, have them go back and sit with the aide at the table. Might be very aggravating to do this continueously, but they'll get the idea that you won't back down.
    Just a thought...I have 13 boys in my class and I've had to do this many times.

4. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Mar 3, 2008

I have a behavior system that I use with my class that works great - not sure if it will work for you, but it might be worth a shot, especially if they are easily motivated by extrinsic, tangible rewards.

I have a behavior chart in the classroom. Each child has his/her name on a pocket on the chart & there are 4 colored cards inside each pocket: blue, green, yellow & red. Everyone starts the day out on blue & their goal is to still have a blue card at the end of the day. They get one warning for breaking a classroom rule & then I will have him/her pull a behavior card from the chart...each time a card is pulled, the child loses 4 minutes of play time during choice-time. At the end of the day, I color the day on the calendar, based on the color they earned on the behavior chart (blue is the best, green means they broke a rule once after a warning, yellow twice & red means they had a really bad day & I usually conference w/ the parents). I set a "blue day" goal at the beginning of each month...if the kids earn enough blue days, they get to pick a prize from the prize box at the end of the month.

You might want to start it out on a shorter scale (maybe one week to start with) since it isn't likely that these boys of yours would be able to recognize & change their behaviors without a bit of timely reinforcement.

5. forkids

forkids Cohort

Mar 4, 2008

When a student just won't settle down, I sometimes send them to the classroom next door for a few minutes. This really bothers most of them. That teacher and I have this worked out ahead of time. Don't use it too often though, or it won't be effective.

6. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Mar 4, 2008

Guys thanks for your help! I've been up since 4am trying to figure out a game plan (couldn't sleep) I was excited to see your replys! I know I have to come up with some kind of behavior chart. The only problem is that the director my program does not believe in taking away tokens, cards etc. she feels they should only be rewarded tokens etc. I disagree with her, I really like your idea PennStateCutie and maybe I could figure out something along these lines. Today I will start with TeacherSandra's advice I would rather be agravated by some sort of game plan of having the boys sit at a table or not then the aggravation of chaos. Thanks again.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2008

Ms. Petunia,
    Keep us informed; we care. Just remember, that it will take perseverence on your part. Consistency is the key.
    take care! :love: