Needs Help with Classroom Website Idea

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by serawyn, Jul 16, 2007.

1. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I am thinking of putting together a classroom webpage and I'm kind of excited/anxious to get started. I know that if I don't get it done over the summer I won't start during the school year. However, I'm kind of clueless how to design the page and what to include. I already have a server and I know what to do. I just need some ideas as to how it should look. Can you please share with me some of the designs or webpages that you like? I would love to take a look and use them as models. Thank you!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

Well, this was my old site when I taught kinder. It won't be availible for too long as I'm going to replace it with my 5th grade website. I'll also share that one too. I actually like my 5th grade site better, but I'm unable to upload it until I get onto my work computer.
    http://www.aesd.edu/to/wienold/

When I visit a teachers website, I want it to be easy to navigate. You won't believe how many teacher's sites I visited and just closed the window because it seemed to messy, or it was hard to find my way around. So, that's just my opinion. :D Also, simple background and graphics. Some teachers go overboard and it's hard to read the text. I LOVE developing websites so I can't wait to see yours. If you share it, I'm sure people would be willing to give you opinions on how to make it better. Good luck!

4. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Hi- Do you have to pay to create a website? This sounds interesting to me, but I have no clue where to start??:confused: I did create a website during my bach. program, but it was all set up for us to start. I also agree that the site should be very simple, maybe 4-6 links. Good luck!

5. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I have to pay about $10/month for the server, but it provides a place to host unlimited webpages, and also email accounts. It's through dreamhost.com and it's been great so far.

I can't wait to get the website up and running. :)

6. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Peachyness,
    You don't teach Kinder? :( Is this year the first you will spend teaching 5th? I'm curious, because I come upon your posts frequently. I remember seeing your website last year. I really like the ABC's of Kindergarten.

I am considering starting my own webpage. If anyone gets one up and running, please post about your trials and tribulations!

7. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Our school pays for our website. Like already mentioned I like teacher websites that are easy to navigate. Don't have too much going on. I like to keep mine simple with just enough important information that parents need to know. I also post homework, up coming events, children's birthdays and who is the star of the week, reminders to parents, and a little info about myself. Try to add some of your own personality to it like cute graphics.

8. yoda

yoda Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

Teacherweb

I use Teacherweb. It costs $27 and is user friendly especially if this is your first website to set up.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

No more kinder. :( Our enrollement declinded and one of us had to go. I offered. I actually wanted the 3rd grade position but the principal gave me 5th instead. I was shocked when I found out that I was moving to 5th, but after tons of research, I've gotten excited at the idea.

Now that I think about it, I think I will put a link from my 5th grade site to my kinder site. I may go back to kinder, so I think it would be a good idea to keep the information on the site.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 17, 2007

Here's a link to my classroom website, it's more for teachers than parents though: vanna's classroom website I pay $ each month to my host, Yahoo and a certain amount each year for my own domain name.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2007

Schoolnotes.com is free. Try it!

13. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2007

I didn't realize this was an advertisement. Thank you anyway. I will pass.

14. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 27, 2007

Thanks, Zoe. The posts were removed as per forum policy (no self-promotion).

As a reminder to everyone, PLEASE use the report post feature to let a moderator know about someone posting links to themselves (new members in particular) or posting advertisements.

This also applies to people abusing the private message system by trying to sell their services to users.

15. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Here is the link to my website. Our county takes care of our website, so I don't have to pay for it. All 5 of us in kindergarten work together, so a lot of the pages are for all of kindergarten at our school, not just my class.

I've been working on updating it this week. I'll have a lot more on it after school starts.

http://www.sampson.k12.nc.us/Countypage/Technology/Heit/sak/index.htm

:)