Needing some help!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Goingback, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Goingback

Goingback Rookie

Oct 8, 2011

After being out of teaching for 10 years, I have accepted a 5th grade science class. I have never taught science, I was a middle school math teacher. I am having a little trouble finding "warm ups" to start the class and get them on task quickly. I think my discipline methods are a bit rusty and know that having an activity ready for them as they walk in will make a huge difference, I always did this with math and the students would get settled quickly. I am just struggling with this and it seems to set the tone of the class every day, so if anyone has any resources/suggestions that might help I would love them. I am filling a long term sub position with absolutely no lesson plans or outline, so I'm just kinda feeling my way through. THANKS for any help, me, my students, and my family would be grateful for any kind of help (they have to see me struggle with this)!

3. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Oct 8, 2011

Here's an Idea

We stress vocabulary. You could have a vocabulary journal and have their new vocabulary words posted each day. We actually use the Frayer Model throughout our curriculum. I only introduce the words that they will learn that day in the lesson. Students would be responsible to have their vocabulary completed five to seven minutes after class has started. Students complete their vocabulary journal picture at the end of the lesson. You could use the picture as your exit ticket.

I have a packet that contains a word search, crossword puzzle, supplemental worksheets, and additional reading for fast finishers.

There is a publication/ called Science Studies Weekly that is geared towards each state standard. You could use this in your lesson or for your additional reading material.

Good luck!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

We assign different warm ups to different days: we have a metric conversion or estimation day, a vocabulary day (sometimes two), guess the picture, science in the news. If we don't need two vocabulary days, then Fridays are usually fun facts day.

5. mwil

mwil Rookie

Oct 9, 2011

When I taught Science and the kids rotated, I printed these out and glued them to flashcards-
    http://sciencespot.net/Pages/triviatogo.html

Some of them are too high for my students, but I even used the ones that were above level but still understandable, to challenge them more. The first thing they did when they entered my room was grab a little response slip and write their name on it. When they were settled in a desk, I read the question and they chose the best answer, wrote it down, and turned it in. I picked one winner from each class and announced the correct answer and winner the following day, then made sure to discuss the correct answer and connect it to previous learning. The kids loved it, it got them settled quickly, and they immediately began thinking about science.

6. Goingback

Goingback Rookie

Oct 10, 2011

Thanks for the great ideas, I appreciate you taking the time to help!