Needing some advice on going back to teaching (or starting I suppose)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Megan Williams, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Apr 25, 2016

So here's a little back story. I graduated in December of 2006 with my degree in Middle School Education. I started substitute teaching right away, I didn't get a teaching job the following year and continued to sub. The next year I took a position as a para in the focus room and as the ISS Supervisor in a Middle school. I worked that position for 2 years and was not rehired. (It really was a bad fit) I was pregnant with my first son at the time and decided to stay home with him full time, then my second little guy came along, extending my stay at home time.

I want to go back to teaching, but my certification has expired, I don't have any contacts in the education field, and I feel very rusty. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try another para job or substitute with I work on the credit hours to get re-certified? Do school districts hire people without certification with the intent to become certified withing the year? Are there any suggestions on books or journals to read to get back into the swing of things?

TIA

3. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Apr 29, 2016

I know when I worked as a sub and my cert were expired, some districts insisted on having up-to-date cert, some didn't care. So, you may want to check on this. Just don't say that your cert is expired, those who don't care may not even notice it :)

As for para job, there (as far as I know) you don't need any certifications, and it may be a good idea to look for that job to get back into the swing of things

good luck!

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 29, 2016

In my state, paras & subs need certificates too (different kinds, less qualifications)
    One of my coworkers at my last job was in a similar position as you. She had taught elementary school years ago, but then stayed home when she had her kids. When her youngest was 11, she got a job as a Kindergarten teacher in a daycare and then ended up with a public school job the following year when the Kinder position got cut (wealthy area with top school districts - no one was putting their kids in Private Kindergarten)

5. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

May 12, 2016

Online teaching could be a good alternative for you. At present this field is growing and the demand for teachers is still there. Initially it will take a bit of time to get used to but I am sure you will be able to adjust soon. Try a free virtual classroom software to begin with. Check your comfort level and in the mean time do your research on the net about the avenues. No harm in trying.

PallasAthena likes this.