Needing Prayers ~

Discussion in 'Prayer Request Forum' started by Starista, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Nov 29, 2006

Hello and I hope it isn't too selfish coming here and requesting prayers for yourself ~

I am recovering from a nasty addiction ~ not the usual kind, but to a very, very addicting computer game.

Some of you may think this sounds silly, but I truly was playing this game upwards to 5-6 hours a day.

It was interfering w/ my personal life, my job, and my health.

I decided on Saturday that it was time to get my life back and stop spending so much time gaming. I deleted the game, cancelled my account and the such.

It's very difficult to leave something you've been doing for over a year, for almost 5 hours a day.

Please pray that I have the strenth to overcome this.

God Bless,
    Star :thanks:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2006

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 29, 2006

Good for you, Star. I play a few games upwards of 2 hours a night and sometimes worry. I will pray for you.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Nov 29, 2006

My game was an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). It created a fantasy world which was -very- easy to get immersed into ~ and I spent almost all of my free time there.

I urge you all to not let your children/spouses play these types of games.

:love:

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 29, 2006

My parapro is addicted to these games also. She has really bad eyes and comes in with a headache a couple times a week due to sitting in front of the computer.

Good luck on breaking your addiction!

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Nov 29, 2006

Help her quit ~

Try to show her how much of her time she is wasting. =(

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 29, 2006

She really doesn't have a life and I think other than work this is all she has to look forward to. We don't have public transportation where we live and due to her poor eye sight, she cannot drive. She is 32 years old and lives at home. Her mother drives her to and from work. She is also over $12,000 in debt (which I can't understand because she has no expenses other than food and clothes) which she acquired in 1 year.

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Nov 29, 2006

How said for your assistant. :(

She will be in MY prayers.

Trust me when I tell you it is no way to live. :(

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 29, 2006

This is something most people have no idea about. I don't play role-playing games, but I can imagine how seductive they might be.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 29, 2006

Thanks. She is nice but she is a little to odd for me, so I don't hang out with her outside of school. I do offer to drive her to places if a group of staff members go out after school, as I am hoping she will make friends with someone. Being in my self-contained sp. ed. class gives her very little interaction with other staff members.

12. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Nov 29, 2006

You are not the only one who is/was addicted to those kinds of games! Good luck on kicking it! Just remember, better than virtual reality is...ACTUAL reality! :)

BTW, if you dont mind me asking, was it World of Warcraft? That seems to be the most addicting one.

You will be in my prayers.

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 29, 2006

I can relate. I'm currently not addicted to any games, but I have a very addictive personality and fall into habits and get consumed by things very easily.
    I'm sorry you're going through this, but the first step is admitting you have a problem! :)
    Good luck with getting over this addiction. The fact that you realized the problem and are taking steps to improve the situation show that you are a strong person and will get through this, I'm sure!

14. Starista

Starista Cohort

Nov 30, 2006

It was World of Warcraft indeed. My fiance (who thank God has forgiven me for almost 1 year of neglect) has put my gaming account on Ebay and we expect to get almost $500.00 for it. That should greatly help out this holiday season. :love: Those games should come w/ a warning label. I cringe when I think how many well-intentioned, unknowing mothers/fathers will buy that game and give it to their young son/daughter this holiday season...

God Bless,
    Star :love:

PS. If you or a friend is struggling w/ a gaming "problem" I have a ton of wonderful resources/websites which helped me a lot.

15. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

Good for you-selling it will not only give you closure but a little cash!! Isn't it amazing that someone is willing to pay that much for a make believe character?

My husband used to play Star Wars Galaxies, and I am glad he doesn't anymore. It just was too much time spent! I felt neglected.

When WOW came out he purposely avoided it so he wouldn't want to play it-of which I am eternally greatful because I hear it is the most addictive game of all!

16. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

Dec 4, 2006

Starista, I know how you feel. There are some games out there that are very addictive and once you start playing, you are hooked for a while. I play a MMORPG called "Runescape" and I am a member. I play for about 1 hour a day when I am not in school, I sometimes play for a bit longer. I know how it feels to want to reach a certain level in some skill and then to try that skill out, it really can get addicting.

I however agree, that by limiting your children playing such games like World of Warcraft, Runescape, Maple Story it's a great idea
    Whilst they are fun, they can be very addicting and they require copious amounts of time to play.

----------------------------

You should be proud for breaking your addiction star! There are many people that play these computer games for long times, (I have heard of all night for people, even the age of 12!) and they become anti-social, it does interfere with your health and education. It's hard, very hard to break a habit and that is definitely a commendable thing.

I will keep you in my prayers