Needing encouragement

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Camel13, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Jan 11, 2020

So, I saw a posting for a new job over break, applied, interviewed, and was hired in a whirlwind almost all this week. I accepted, but still have yet to officially sign contract. I have given notice at my school and they have posted. I visited the new classroom today and the teacher who is moving on is extremely helpful and loves this school, but I am having second thoughts!

My current school is a 140 mile round trip commute. This one would be 76. Current six preps turns to three. Pay is almost the same. My heart is breaking over admin that has been nothing but supportive and was jump at the chance for me to stay. Students love me. I am so sad to think of missing them. New school room is half the size with half the resources ( think a third of the glassware for Chem) and half the freedoms (they won’t let me have my own mini fridge in there...ice for labs....what? Or microwave. School seems older. Class sizes a little bigger but not much.

I am clouded by emotions right now over leaving my starter school, but it is mostly about the commute. I have applied at even closer schools with no results the past year or so. I feel I should make a change...but literally have this weekend to maybe back out.

Personal experience and feedback and encouragement is extremely welcomed!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2020

You had good reasons to look. You were lucky enough to get a job almost immediately, maybe before you had resigned yourself to what that would really mean in your heart and mind. Driving half the distance daily - wow! Money about the same - double wow! Some things you are feeling uneasy about, which is to be expected. Second guessing is normal. Will you love this? Don't know. As for ice - it must be there somewhere. Older schools have older electrical wiring, so most limit appliances - mine does. You can't argue with the change of commute, you can apply over the summer if this turns out to be a bad fit. Your new students will love you, so that is a wash. It might not be perfect, but sometimes better is good enough.

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jan 12, 2020

I am just thinking you probably shouldn't second guess at this point. Just my opinion....I commuted a long distance ( not as long as you) for yrs.
    When I stopped the commute, it gave me about 2 hours of not driving time and tacked on another good hour of my life ( half hour on both sides) of destressing from driving. That was 3 more hours a day that I had more to live life outside of work. Just imo, that is worth it. Plus, it cuts your gas prices, wear and tear on your rig, and decreases your chances of having an accident.
    I am guessing there is a reason you can't live closer to work. ( Family, other home, community hard to live in.) I am already just assuming that you thought through even renting a room close to where you work. If not and that is a possibility, I'd check that out and rethink.
    It is really hard to leave a supportive environment w/ admin and kids you are attached to. You must have made those good connections for a reason though. You carry your good traits with you wherever you go. Hopefully, your new school will take you under their wing and you will learn to feel the same way there.
    I moved from a school w/ massive resources to 1 w/ the barebones. At first, it is an adjustment. OK...honestly, it still bothers me at times. ;) Not having a microwave or fridge would be a bummer. I guess you'd have to use the lounge or is there an old Home Ec room there?
    It is always an emotional experience to leave a supportive place, but I have a feeling, you'll adapt. I wish you the best!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 12, 2020

For me, the reduced commute would override just about everything else. I think it’s natural to second-guess change, especially when the change is sudden. Change allows for growth, which is never negative. Best of luck!

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2020

Best of luck, whatever you choose.

7. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Jan 13, 2020

A big Thank you! I was second guessing again today. I think I am really afraid of change! I am still a newbie...third in year in my little school. My husband already works 45 min in the opposite direction with a job paying twice, so moving was never an option. Your encouragement is keeping me moving forward!

Tired Teacher and agdamity like this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2020

We're all afraid of change, truth be told. We like the "known" and the "comfortable". You know, there was a reason that Cheers stayed on TV so long - we all relate to a place that feels like family, and everyone knows your name. It is brave to walk into the unknown, with hopes of a better tomorrow. Keep us posted. :hugs: