Needing advice....

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by annetxa, Oct 13, 2010.

1. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 13, 2010

Needing advice with 3 yr. olds....

I am teaching my first year of children that are age 3 yrs. My day is structured as follows: I have free play from 7am-10am every day with all ages (ages 3-5 yrs.)....this I cannot change. We all have snack and I start lining them up for bathroom around 10:20am. I then have "Circle time" with only the 3 yr. olds and after that I try to do a teacher directed activity with 2-3 at a time while the others have free play. I know that is way too much free time, but I am unsure how to structure the rest of my day and get them to go into some sort of learning centers. I have a block of time between 10:40-11:30am where I can do whatever I want. At 11:30am we usually go outside for 30 minutes. At noon we all have lunch as a group. I will take any suggestions for both structure and ideas for activities to do with them. We work with themes and the theme for the month is "Fall" and "Halloween". Thanks ahead of time. :help:

3. imat

imat Rookie

Oct 13, 2010

Here is how are day goes (we are a mixed age group as well)

7:30 to 8:00 Table top activites (while one goes and sets up for breakfast)

8:00 to 8:30 Breakfast as children finish eating they can go to any learning center for free choice.

8:30 to 9:30 Learning centers with free choice. We set up diffrent activites for the children to rotate in and out of. These activities change everyday

9:30 to 9:50 Group time

9:50 to 10:00 Transition game wash hands/ bathroom for snack

10:00 to 10:15 Snack

10:15 to 10:45 Small group activities

10:45 Clean-up Bathroom before going outside for play

11:00 to 11:45 outside play

11:45 group games line up wash hands for lunch

12:00 to 12:30 Lunch

12:30 Table top activites while setting down beds for nap

Tami
    Learning and Teaching with Preschoolers
    http://learningandteachingwithpreschoolers.blogspot.com

4. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 13, 2010

My problem...

I have no assistant between 10am-noon, but I only have 4-5 children at that time. Also, the morning "free play" happens in my room, so it makes it hard to regain order after all that chaos. I like your website and may try some things off your site next week. I see you sell a book. Is it appropriate for young 3 year old children?

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 13, 2010

You are on the right track, but I suspect you are new to teaching. As we gain experience, the planning becomes easier.

Here are my suggestions: ('cause I have worked for about 100 years.)

1. Have all the teachers and their students help clean up before they go to their rooms.
    2. From 10 to 12 is your time, so make the most of it. It sounds like you are already doing circle time. I like to flow circle time into a teacher directed time. What this means is you show them the activities you are going to put out on the tables for them to do. It is their job to visit each table and participate. If you make all the activities at the tables self directed, you can be at one table and work with an activity that needs teacher direction.

So, you might put out a) playdough, b) matching game, and c) an activity that needs a teacher present--like glueing.

Does this help? I was a trainer for Head Start, so I have lots of ideas for you. Just ask.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 14, 2010

I was going to give you th same suggestions as Blue :)

Since they already have free choice for a good chunk of time in the morning, your later time can be more center-directed. either the kids rotate through each center, or they have a choice of which activities to do between the ones that are open... but they have to visit your center. I've done it both ways, and it depends on the group which one is more sucessful :)

7. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 16, 2010

Ideas for centers

Yes, I am new to this....I have opened up the corn table as one fo the centers as well as stamping and then had one teacher directed activity. Any ideas for activities would be very helpful. I am using some old mailbox magazines to find activities, but I am still having a hard time of it. I have looked on stormie's site too. My group just turned 3 yrs. old.

This week I am going to start to do a visual schedule....see if that helps things.