Needing advice helping student with cerebral palsy

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by reckers, Aug 26, 2008.

1. reckers

reckers Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Hi,

I'm a first year special ed teacher in Texas. I teach inclusion K-2nd. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to work with a student with cerebral palsy? The student also has hand tremors. I think he might have seizures as well, but I'm not sure yet. I haven't had a chance to view his IEP. Today, I went to observe and noticed the difficulty he was having with the limited amount of space on a math worksheet. It was one torn out of a workbook, actually provided by the district. I think it's something new that's being implemented. My concern is that the space is so small and he hardly has any room to write or draw his pictures when solving the problems. I was thinking about something like recreating the problems by making something with more space to where he would have more room. Plus, he has a hard time keeping up because he's trying to erase and redraw the circles. He can count and figure out the problems from what I can tell. He already has a fatter pencil which is easier for him to grip. As the inclusion teacher (and a first year special ed teacher for that matter), I'm just trying to think about what I can do to help him be more successful and prevent any possible frustration. Any advice from other special ed teachers, OT's, etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 26, 2008

Is this a student in the 2nd grade? How long are you in the classroom? Is there an aide at any time in the classroom?

4. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 26, 2008

You could get him a slant board....easy one is to use a 3" binder and tape it shut. The page from the workbook could be enlarged on the copier and/or a separate page for answers provided. Is he having trouble holding the pencil? You could get a tiny tennis ball from the small pet section of Walmart and slit it top and bottom to thread his pencil through. If you can't enlarge his work, you could cut the page into pieces and copy onto paper with larger spaces and extra room for working out problems. As far as erasing, I'd give him extra paper to show his work and then teach him to draw a line through a mistake and move on. Good luck!

5. reckers

reckers Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Proud2BATeacher,

Yes, the student is in 2nd grade. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the original post. I don't know how long I'm supposed to be in the classroom for math. Like I said, I haven't had a chance to look at his IEP yet. I went in today to observe and helped out while I was there. To my knowledge, an aide is never in the room. It would just be myself.

6. reckers

reckers Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Hi Trinda,

I think he already has a slant board. Can it be plastic like those things that you put papers on to look at when typing? Forgive me for asking, but how would this help him? Is it more for keeping his hand steady when writing or what? My concern is more the limited space, at least with what they were doing today. I would imagine they will do this on a regular basis. I like your suggestion about enlarging his work or copying and pasting. I'm trying to get a hold of a TE so that way I can make copies and possibly do this ahead of time. Maybe I should run it by the teacher or other special ed teacher who worked with him last year if this might work? Thank you so much!

7. reckers

reckers Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Sorry,

I meant cutting and then pasting.

8. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2008

I don't know if they have weighted pencils but they do have weighted pens which are supposed to help people with hand tremors write.

Another thing I was thinking about for one of my kids who has severe fine motor issues is a labelmaker machine. They are cheap, like $15 and they make small enough words that they would fit in the worksheet space. The only problem then is how to stick them on (you can tape over them) because a child with fine motor impairments is not going to be able to get the back off to make them sticky, and the tape is kind of expensive.

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2008

I've heard good things about this website (specifically this grip - but there are many others out there..)

http://thepencilgrip.com/dyn_prod.php?p=TPITPG-17701&k=25774

Another thing you could look into is having him do half the problems and/or having a peer buddy to help fill in his worksheet. It is definitely good for him to work on stuff, but not to overdo it. If it's so laborious for him, he will end up hating work.

Could he do his work on the computer? Perhaps look at the worksheet and then fill in the answers on the computer? Even if it is math and he has to type stuff in, might be easier for him to type.

There's another option of speech to text - he says what he wants the computer to type and it types it. Just a few ideas.

10. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

I start with looking at the IEP then I would consider enlarging the pages and modifing directions for the students (ie not needing to draw the pictures as it seemed to occupy his time)

11. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

Definitely look at what accommodations &/or modifications that you can use. If you feel there is insufficient accoms & mods start taking data on his difficulties then call an addendum so you can put them in place. Another alternative is just to give him a seperate sheet of paper to put his work on. I would also look if he has been given any extended time for completing "in class" assignments. If his physical challenge puts him at a slower pace he may need this in his IEP. AND see about an assistive technology eval. They can really help with suggestions.

12. Dthig65

Dthig65 Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I bought two label makers for a couple of my students with fine motor difficulties. They are awesome, aside from the cost of the tape. The kids love using them too! Another option could be you could actually provide the correct answer along with another and have the student mark the answer with his pencil, paint dabber, marker, etc. I hope this helps