Needed to vent about my hybrid classroom...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iris1001, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Sep 22, 2020

Greetings, all.

This is my fifth year teaching, but I am really stressed out. I really don't like to talk about this, but I had a panic attack in my car this morning before work. I was able to compose myself and get it together for the students, but I broke down crying. It's been really hard teaching in a hybrid environment. Not only do I worry for my own safety (because of Covid), but I worry so much for the students too. I feel like I'm failing at teaching both online and in person at the same time.

Is anyone else teaching hybrid right now? Half of my kids are on Zoom and the other half are in the classroom with me, and the schedule alternates (A and B day). I've been giving my Zoom students an assignment to complete either in breakout rooms or on their own, depending on the day. I feel like I'm doing this all wrong, and I'm scared because I'm new to this school and I want to make a good impression.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the hybrid classroom. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Sep 22, 2020

We are 100% virtual currently, but moving to a model similar to that. Initially, we were told we would only have one or the other models, not both. Anyway, my department is already planning on giving the same thing to both sets of students. The students in the classroom will all have a device. Just treat them all like they are virtual.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 22, 2020

This is actually really good advice.

bella84 and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 22, 2020

DH is teaching hybrid. His at home and in class kids are both following along in a Zoom meeting. That way he doesn’t have to touch five random computers and Smartboards after other teachers all day.

We are all virtual until October 19th. I’ll be hybrid then.

6. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Sep 23, 2020

But what about students that have severe behavioral issues on Zoom? :(

7. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 23, 2020

I'm not sure what your school's policies are, but when my kids do anything they shouldn't on zoom I just mute/turn their camera off. I also record the sessions and send everything to admin and their parents when they misbehave.

8. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Sep 23, 2020

Thanks so much, everyone. All my students in class will have a device. I'm starting to think that treating them all as if they were a virtual student might be helpful. Maybe I can share my screen with them to present lectures and the texts we will be annotating. I teach English for seniors and freshmen.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 23, 2020

What are the consequences?

10. Leander

Leander New Member

Sep 24, 2020

Hey, everyone!
    I'm Ronei and I'm from Brazil. I teach English to middle school here in Brazil. I've been following what's happening in the US and European schools and here in my country things are heading the same way. We are expected to return to classroom in ten days (October 5th) but, in our case, our students are poor and many have no access to internet to have online lessons if they decide to not come back to school. If any of you would like to exchange messages so we can share our different world's experience, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks and take care!

11. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Oct 5, 2020

Ronei, how did your school open up? Did some students not return? Are you near a major city or a smaller town?

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 5, 2020

Whenever my district goes back in person, I'll have three virtual classes, two hybrid classes, and one in-person class. The in-person students will only be there two days a week, alternating A and B day, so for the two hybrid classes, I'll have some kids there virtually twice a week (block scheduling) and the in-person kids once a week. It's insane. I already have four preps (five, if you consider that I'm team-teaching Prealgebra with two different teachers), but then adding in the different formats and the questionable safety measures my district is implementing? Nope. I'm teaching fully virtual. Whatever students happen to be sharing my airspace better have their device and headphones with them.