Needed supplies and materials for first year teacher?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by ms.pekkle, Jul 4, 2013.

1. ms.pekkle

ms.pekkle Rookie

Jul 4, 2013

Hi all,

I will soon be starting my first teaching. Yikes! I mean, yay yay!:woot:
    I've accepted a bilingual 2nd grade position. I have Harry Wong's book to help prepare me for the first day of school. However, I have not bought ANY supplies while I was an undergrad. The only thing I have gotten (because of projects and such) are one pack of bulletin board trimmers, sentence strips, flash cards, and an erasable classroom schedule. Oh, and some scented Mr. Sketch markers :p

As a first year teacher, what do you all recommend is a must to get before the first day? And what are some things that can wait a few weeks after the first day? I would love to hear from all teachers! Especially any bilingual teachers! :) Thank you all in advance!

3. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 5, 2013

Make sure your classroom has a good pencil sharpener and stapler! I use a ton of paper clips :) After teaching 2nd grade for 6 years, here's what I will be sure and have before school starts this year:
    A way to show AR and Math facts levels; a display of some sort outside my door to welcome students; desk tags that have a number line and hundreds chart- incidentally, I have tried everything for securing these to desks and have decided to just lay them on desks without securing them; two sets of numbers- one for lunch count and one for jobs; a birthday chart and birthday bags; a calendar; pencils, glue, scissors, crayons, paper, tape, and hot glue gun; broom and dustpan (obviously not necessary, but oh so handy!); my own trash can; tissues; dry erase markers; This year I'm getting lots of highlighters! Also, I use stickers a lot :)

4. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Jul 5, 2013

Ms. Pekkle, I am with you. I am also starting as a new teacher in 2nd. I have a pledge of allegiance poster, fabric for my bulleting boards and matching trim. I actually bought a set from teachers pay teachers which includes matching word wall headers and name tags to match my theme which is bees.

5. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 5, 2013

I would say ditto on the paper clips.

Also, post-its and sharpie markers are handy to have on hand for sending notes to other places or labeling supplies.

I included this link, because I think she has helped me a lot over the years (This is year 6 for me.) I recommend her books (especially The Cornerstone) to kind of help you cover the bases.

http://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/free-resources/seasonal/beginning-the-year

6. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 5, 2013

Many schools will cover the cost of office supplies. It would be in your best interest to check with the school secretary about ordering supplies and if your school will order them for you.

Also, if you haven't seen your classroom, you should ask to take a peek. A former teacher may have left you some usable items. If nothing remains, you can at least get a good idea of the layout of the room and what you'll need.

Before my first year, I spent a large chunk of money on decorations. Bulletin board paper, borders, posters, etc. I went to a party store and bought cheap paper lanterns to hang from the ceiling. I had two "butterfly" chairs from dorm living and put those in my reading corner. See what you have at home (that you wouldn't mind repurposing in your classroom)...you could come up with a lot of hidden treasures!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

Definitely check with your school before you go crazy, because trust me when I say shopping for your classroom can be addictive!!! I second those who said post-its, sharpies, electric pencil sharpener, and staplers. I like jumbo smooth paper clips and :love: binder clips. I also swear by my stackable plastic bins (I have one for each day and an extra for the following week's papers) that I used everyday to keep my copies and stuff sorted out.

Also, check to see if your area has a freecycle group...many people in my area are constantly getting rid of things and offer them to the group members for free. I've gotten books, movies, and games this way for my classroom!

I added you and chrissy1214phx to the jobs list! :D

8. Mom_to_3

Mom_to_3 Rookie

Jul 16, 2013

I love this thread! I am taking notes. :)

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 16, 2013

Dollar Tree usually has cute and CHEAP decorations for the classroom!

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2013

See what your school has to offer before buying anything.

Don't worry too much about setting up your room (although it is by far the most tempting and fun thing to do). Instead, put up some fabric on the boards with nice borders and the room will look ready. Spend the time planning your procedures and routines and getting to know the content. Best wishes and CONGRATS!! Such an exciting time.

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 21, 2013

My school supplies Post-Its, pens, pencils, staplers, bulletin board paper, paper clips and push pins, etc. Definitely check the supply closet and talk with the secretary before you put out a lot of your own money!

12. ms.pekkle

ms.pekkle Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

Thank you everyone for the help and advice. I will take notes and get started this weekend! Tax free weekend in Texas!