Need your help please please please

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachOnTheBeach, Jul 15, 2009.

1. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I am teaching math next year and I would like some help.

I thought it would be a great "welcome back" bulletin board to have colorful letters or postcards with things that you do or whatever that has to deal with math.

For example, someone here gave me a postcard about how he loves being an architect and using math each day. He mentioned he uses measurement. So I loved it because I could use that when I introdcuce measurement too...

Can someone please help me out??
    I will cover the cost of the letter if you need me to, I know times are tough.
    Please and thank you. School starts in August!:wub:
    :thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 15, 2009

Sure, so you want us to mail you the post cards? Is that what you are asking? Sorry a lil slow today

4. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jul 15, 2009

Great idea for making math relevant! Could you explain just a little more. :) We would send you a postcard explaining how we use math, right? For example, my husband is a farmer...he could write a message explaining how math plays a part in his daily work? :)

5. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

PERFECT CHEYENNE! That's exactly what I am talking about. I feel that I am ADHD a lot of times so I thinking of all these things and don't know how to put it into words without showing my excitement(ADHD) too much :)

Post cards are exactly what I am looking for :)

THANK YOU!!!

6. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jul 15, 2009

You are just fine, AND it is a great idea! Just PM your address, and I will get my husband drafted! :D

7. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 15, 2009

I teach but here are some occupations to try contact:

So things like baseball averages and how they calculated (sports statistics) There is a book that uses fantasy baseball teams to cover statistics.

Accountants

Mortgage brokers/ loan officers with interests/principal payments and interest over the life of the own.

Contractors - measurement and conversions

Scientists - metric system

8. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 15, 2009

What grade do you teach? That would help me to know how young/advanced to gear my response.

I used to ask my advanced 3rd grade math kids to keep a list of when they use math during one day...it led to great discussions of how important mathematical concepts are for us every day, like telling time, using a calendar, paying a bill, buying something, figuring out logistics and timing when going to meet someone at the movies, measuring for new flooring, counting up how many times they use math :rolleyes:, following sports, building a ski ramp...

My HS son built a couple of skating/skiing ramps w/ his buddies this summer. I could have him write about how math was involved in this project. PM me w/ grade level and email address, please. :cool:

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 15, 2009

Check out the book Go Figure by Johnny Ball; it's published by Dorling Kindersley and you'll find it in the children's section.

10. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

Thank you...I teach 4th grade! :) I will PM yo with my address. I am so excited, thank you :)