Need your advice to prepare SAT!

Discussion in 'High School' started by snady, Jun 25, 2009.

1. snady

snady New Member

Jun 25, 2009

Hi folks!

I plan to write my SAT Exam in next year. I need some helpful advice with it. Please help me out with the preparation. Since I am poor, I cannot go to SAT classes, or afford the book, but I really want to get above 2150. So please give me as many links as possible, which provide free and useful info and will educate me to achieve the score I desire to get in my SAT. Including links for Word lists that would help me for the SAT and practice tests too.

:thanks:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2009

Hi and welcome!

I teach an SAT prep math course, in addition to teaching regular HS math classes.

Probably your best starting place is the ETS site. They'll give you the rundown on testing basics.

Then hit either the bookstore or your local library, and get the Barrons SAT review guide.

If you can find a copy of the Princeton Review Guide to the SAT, it's full of "beat the test" strategies.

Finally, this is also a good summer to begin your scholarship search. Google "scholarships for " (any word that describes you.) I did this with my SAT prep class, and we found something like 47,000 hits for "scholarships for twins", for scholarships for "____- Americans" and so on. Apply EVERYWHERE!!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2009

snady, have you tried Googling for "free SAT vocabulary" or "free SAT math preparation"?

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 25, 2009

Verbalearn.com uses SAT vocab lists but builds personalized lists that you can review and study across several different online or offline formats.

6. warren22.2

warren22.2 Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Prepping for a standardized test involves getting acquainted with the content, structure, and administration of the test. So working out of an SAT book is important. Although the Official SAT Guide may cost upwards of $20 at the bookstore, a new edition may cost $10 (after shipping) on sites such as half.com Considering the exam is $45, this $10 investment may be reasonable.

With that in mind, you can go on youtube and search for videos under "SAT" or "SAT prep." There are many posters who demonstrate SAT content through books such as The Official Study Guide. This will hopefully give you a foundation to endeavor in your self-studies.

Good Luck!

7. SSA

SSA Companion

Aug 8, 2009

Another option worth considering it looking at the previous years' edition. Since the 2005 revision not much has changed with the exam and if you compare one years' edition to the next years' edition you will find that the updates are not surprisingly virtually identical. Beyond the cover and the occasional correction a lot of these prep books barely change from year to year.

8. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I taught SAT I and SAT II math preparation classes many times. I think the best way to prepare SAT I is to do real SAT problems. Make sure you really understand every problem.