Need writing ideas for 2nd-3rd

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hac711, May 14, 2010.

1. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 14, 2010

It's the end of the year, and I am at a loss at what to do for writing...
    We have covered so far:
    Poetry(limericks, sidewalk ends, haikus) and made booklets and stuff
    short fictional stories
    mysteries
    Who done it?

And we just finished a huge research assignment writing biographies of famous people...

I am trying to find fun, short assignments that can take us through to the end of the year and I am out of steam...:yawn:

3. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

May 14, 2010

what about descriptive writing? You could review similes, metaphors, onomatopoeia, etc. They could write descriptive paragraphs.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 15, 2010

Earlier in the year I drew a squiggle on a piece of paper and they had to turn the squiggle into something and then write about it. My grade 3s really enjoyed this.

I've opened up our writing time to free choice now. I've taught them how to write, now they need a chance to explore and play. I still do mini-lessons on the 6 traits of writing, and scaffold, but they are on their own. It's scary for me (and them a little, too!) but they need the chance to be independent.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

May 15, 2010

Have your students create a brochure (fold the paper into thirds) to have ready for your incoming students for the 2010-2011 school year. My students do this. Have them write about activities, class trips, what is covered in the subject areas, etc. They can draw pictures or cut from magazines.

6. tgim

tgim Habitué

May 15, 2010

Just a quick idea or two: persuasive writing, non-fiction, how-to, or writing including dialogue.

7. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 15, 2010

Thanks for your suggestions! Some of the ones mentioned we have done (just forgot until they were mentioned again!) I like the squiggly line idea and the persuasive...those can be very fun. I just added public speaking to our writing hour so the kids have a chance to share too...

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 16, 2010

We just did a week of writing based on "mentor texts." I read aloud a story each day and then we discussed what the author did to make the story interesting. After that, the kids tried their hands at using the writing skills the authors used! Many books would be great for this, but here's a list of the books we used:

1) "Duck on a Bike"- As a class, we came up with a new title- "Hillbilly Dog on a Plane." Each student used story paper to write a page for the class book using a different animal and we compiled the pages.

2) "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day." Students created booklets about themselves and a terrible horrible, no good, very bad picture day...this one was difficult for the kids and I probably won't use it again unless I can spend longer on it.

3) "What Am I?" This is a series of books about different animals. I had the students create 2 story pages (front and back). The front page has a picture of just a part of the child's chosen animal. For example, it might be a picture of just the mouth of an alligator and the picture would read, "Here is my mouth." The words below the picture would give clues about the animal and end with "What Am I?" Then, on the back, the students would draw the entire animal and write below it, "I am an alligator!" This was easy for the children and I put all the pages together in a booklet. I showed them the front page of each one and they guessed as a class what each animal was. Cute, cute, cute!

4) "Quick as a Cricket" After reading the book to the class, we discussed similes and each student created 4 similes like the ones in the book- I used story paper and they did front and back of two pages. One student, for example, drew herself with a squirrel and wrote, "I'm as nutty as a squirrel!" on one page. I put the pages together and titled our book "Mrs. Q's Book of Similes." This was my favorite! =)

5) "I Wanna Iguana"- In the book, a little boy and his mother write letters back and forth- and he tries to convince her that he should have an iguana. We reviewed friendly letter format and persuasive writing techniques and students wrote friendly letters to their parents requesting a pet- the sillier, the better!

I, too, am looking for some Reading/Writing assignments to use the last two weeks of school since we will be finishing up our basals this week...looking forward to seeing more ideas here!

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 16, 2010

10. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

May 17, 2010

all about me?

or what there favorite thing in second grade was, what they will miss about second grade, what they learned in second grade, and what they didn't like in second grade.

11. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 18, 2010

Thanks!!! Your suggestions will def take me til the end of the year! Appreciate all the suggestions!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 18, 2010

How tos (instructional narratives)

All about books

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 18, 2010

Write about something they've done in their other classes--- like science!!! :)

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 18, 2010

As I was preparing my plans for the next few weeks I remembered that I always have my kids write an autobiography. It's a nice keepsake and is good to pass along to their 4th grade teacher so that she may see their writing and learn about them as well.