Need Writing Help!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mldouglas, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Apr 26, 2007

I need help with a writing assignment for a student that I tutor. I work for a tutoring service and we provide help in several different academic areas. One of these areas is writing. The students are assigned to write different kinds of papers. This student particular student that I will be working with is working on writing a cause/effect paper. I know what cause and effect is but how would I go about setting that up for a complete paper. As always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Marci D.

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Apr 27, 2007

Have you ever failed an exam? Explain to the reader what events occurred that led up to your taking the exam. Think of the things that you did do to prepare and think of the things you did not do enough of.

4. Sarkfollower

Sarkfollower Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

There is a new student in school and at lunch, one of your friends decides to make fun of her and dares you to walk by her chair and call her "freckles." What do you do?

Then: What is the consequence of your action? If you give way to your friends and tease the new student, what is her response to you? What are your friends responses to you? How do they make you feel? etc...

Check out Barry Lane. I might do an exercise showing all the questions you need to ask to create "thoughtshots" or "snapshots" in a paper (of any kind really). Look up the chapter on self-questioning and he gives actual exercises in his Writer's Toolbox. Once the student can self-question, he or she can create detail and really develop his/ her paper nicely. This is a great lead in before you go on to cause and effect.

Then he/she will be asking, "What did the new girl look like?" "What did the cafeteria look like?" "When did you break for lunch and where were you coming from?" Setting the scene can flow nicely with cause and effect. Just a suggestion! (His/Her paper will be more fun for you to read as well!)

Jessica

5. BeckyPie7

BeckyPie7 Companion

Apr 27, 2007

You could use a flow chart to help organize the paper, once you pick a topic.