Need veteran help...non renewal or resign?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by brejohnson88, Feb 19, 2011.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

someone I know just found out yesterday that he will be not getting asked back next year. In the fall, he got a terrible evaluation from the principal. He talked With her and made some improvements. Then, he just got evaluated again and this time he got satisfactory and even some excellence marks. At the end he asked about his job status for next year and the p said it was an administrative decision to not renewal his contract. She then went on to say that they need his resignation letter by Monday before the board meeting. He is a first year teacher so I know there's not alot to be done. All the teachers like him and the kids love him. This p has just had it out for him.

Should he resign from the position or make them let him go? How does it all work? Should he go to the board meeting on Monday with support from his coworkers and parents?

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 19, 2011

Bre- Is this teacher part of the teacher union? If so have him contact the president of the union. They should be able to help on what can be done.

4. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

yea...he is. he went to the leader and she said he can fight it but doesnt know if alot can be done since hes not tenured. she told him they would be behind him though if he decided to go to the board meeting.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 19, 2011

He also needs to ask your local union about unemployment benfits if he is let go. He might be eligible for unemployment if is let go but I don't think he would be eligible for those benefits if he resigns. That might be one reason the P suggested he resign.

Personally, esp. during these economic times, I think it might look better on a resume that his job ended at the end of his contracted year and not rehired, rather than ended the job because he resigned. Just my two cents

6. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Feb 19, 2011

been there done that.

I was non renewed two years ago.

I had to make the decision to resign or not.

I decided not to resign . . .

I was able to get unemployment till I could get a new job

looking back I learned so much from that experience.

it is an individual decision

support your friend

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Feb 19, 2011

In California, it's better to resign. You can still get unemployment benefits, and you don't have to tell potential employers that you were non-renewed.

8. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

This is in Illinois. I believe he would not get unemployment if he resigns which the school is trying to push on him. Thanks for the info!

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 19, 2011

bre - my state, Indiana, would be the same way. I know when my dept is looking at resumes, the ones that stand out as questionable are the "resigns" and not the first years teachers not rehired. We all understand first years can be released for any reason including economic.

10. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

I agree. They are probably pushing him to resign so they wouldn't have to help pay his unemployment. I don't think he should resign when he got a good evaluation. It would be different if he did something wrong. This is my boyfriend and we live together so it's been very stressful. I still have my job for next year. We live in a rural area so jobs are hard to come by. I am praying he can find a new job nearby so he doesn't have to move away :(

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 19, 2011

If it were me, I would not resign. This is a very unfortunate situation.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2011

I would not resign. Fired due to economic reasons sounds better than resigned on any application.

And screw them. He improved quite a bit and ended up with a good evaluation. Hold on to that last eval.

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

He needs to think about the fact that any new potential employer will definitely want to contact his previous boss. If he resigns, is the principal agreeing to give him a good review for potential new employers (I know this "bargain" is done quite frequently in one of my parent's districts). If he makes them fire him, the principal is most likely not going to give a good review of him when a new school calls, which would probably prohibit him from getting a new job. They'll figure out it wasn't for "economic reasons" when they call and talk to the principal. If it was, the principal should be more than happy to give him a good recommendation for other jobs.

14. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Feb 19, 2011

I am sending you a PM.

15. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

I agree with the reference. However, this is where it gets tricky. He is a teacher at 3 different schools in the district and a coach at the hs. Only one of the principals was the one who did the evaluation. When asked about whose decision it was to release him, she said two out of three principals agreed on this. The other principal has only watched him teach for 5 minutes and we are not even sure if the third knows about this decision or what.

And when the resignation issue came up, she never offered a letter of recommendation. She hates him that much. The only good thing is he has the good evaluation to show. His mentor and the head football coach who he coached with already said they will be giving him wonderful letters of recommendations.

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

Well at least he has those other people behind him! If it was me, I'd probably go the principal and agree to resign IF they write me a good letter of recommendation for a new school. I'd also inform them that if not, I would not be resigning and would be collecting unemployment. It may be a little risky- but that's what I would do. If he's not getting any benefit from resigning- why do it? If he's looking for a job in the same area, it will also be hard to say why he's resigning. If he were moving, he could say something like "I didn't like the geographic area I was in" or "I wanted to be closer to family" which would have nothing to do with the actual teaching. Now, he'll be forced to come up with a reason for leaving the school that doesn't make him sound like he's a picky/difficult employee.

17. Boo

Boo Rookie

Feb 26, 2011

I don't know why a principal would care if a nonrenewed teacher resigned or not. The school district isn't paying actual unemployment, but their unemployment insurance rates go up, which is really minimal. Could your boyfriend talk to the principal who did not agree with the nonrenewal?
    Do you also think it could be partially because of the budget, they can just non renew his contract and not rehire for the position or fill it from within?
    I'm sorry you and your boyfriend are going through this.