Need to vent

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by mrs.oz, Sep 13, 2006.

1. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 13, 2006

Help! This is my second year under a new supervisor and a new principal. Anyone out there feel like they have no support. I have lost my joy of teaching and need to regain it but it is a little hard when you feel like your supervisor and principal is against everything you do. My last supervisor and principal would say I was the best Pre-K teacher in the county. Now I am beginning to wonder.

3. Lexi

Lexi Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

*hugs* At the very end of my run at one daycare center, the director decided she hated me and everything I did. So she was horrible, didn't support me in anything, and eventually I ended up leaving because I couldn't take it.

Maybe you can have a meeting with your new supervisor and principal and explain where you are coming from? I'm sorry you have to deal with this!!

4. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Sep 13, 2006

Don't worry about it!! There are always going to be people who seem to be against you. This year, I have the support of administration and other teachers, but not the support of some of the parents. Parents are giving me a hard time about my program and the way I run it. It's been so hard to try to not worry about it, but that what you have to do. So many others reassure me that I am still doing a great job. You know that you are a good teacher from what your last supervisor said, so stay strong! I know its hard, but if you try to stay strong and believe in yourself, you will regain your joy of teaching.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2006

Sometimes we have to sit back and take a look at ourselves. What types of things are they giving you trouble about? Another thing to think about is that sometimes bosses just need to "boss." But without really knowing what they are saying to you, it is hard to give advice. If you're constantly being badgered by them and you don't know why, then ask them. If it's just petty stuff now and then, just fix the little problem and go about your day and don't let them take control of how you feel about teaching. BY the way, I'm on your side and I am not saying anything is your fault. It's just hard to know what's going on unless you are more specific.

6. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 15, 2006

Well, here goes. I am not the only teacher feeling this way. The principal we have now can not stand any pressure from parents so we are told to keep the parents happy and that the parents are always right more or less. I have had several issues in the last two years that have been pretty much petty stuff but we are made to feel like we don't have any control that we are always in the wrong. If it weren't for lots of prayers, I would not have made it through the last year. I am trying to hold out till the end of the year and then I might ask for a transfer. I hate to let a principal run me off from a school that I have been at for 6 years just because of 2 bad years. But next year could be just as bad.

7. teachME207

teachME207 New Member

Sep 18, 2006

I don't often respond to postings .. instead, I 'lurk' and just read suggestions & absorb ideas.

But I had to respond to this posting, as I'm in the same boat. I'm a second year pre-K teacher, working in a daycare environment with two other teachers. My fellow pre-K teacher is friends with the principal outside of school, and they have had a friendship for DECADES. I'm the new kid on the block, and I am confident that my teaching is effective. But when it comes to altercations or disagreements, the other teacher is always favored. I believe it is because of this friendship. This has led to unbelievable stress between me and my fellow teacher, and a complete lack of trust. We barely speak, because my words to this teacher are often brought directly to the principal. I, too, feel as though the principal is 'against me' ... I've never felt so unsupported.

The best advice I can give, (and I'm not sure it's good advice, but it's all that's getting me through the day), is to remember why you're teaching in the first place. I know I'm doing what's best for my kids, I'm confident in my abilities, and I've gotten positive feedback from parents. As hard as it is to ignore "middle school" situations, if you allow these people to get under your skin it will consume you. It's unfair, and it can make for an even more challenging work day. I keep hoping that someday, these women will realize that the stresses of our everyday work are enough ... between classroom work and preparation, interactions with both kids and parents, and all the other stresses of our lives, why do we need to make things tougher on ourselves? Sounds cheesy ... but why cant we just get along? For only 8 hours a day?

8. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 18, 2006

AMEN

9. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Sep 22, 2006

Wow, sounds like a different age group, but I empathize with you on that one!