Need to vent!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lynn K., Dec 5, 2009.

1. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Dec 5, 2009

I am not having a great year. All due to a group of four or five boys. Recently, (within the last two or three weeks) these boys have decided that everything I do is hysterical. They giggle and look at each other and roll their eyes at everything I do. It can be anything from actively teaching to reading a story to writing on the board. I have to say, I have tried to ignore it, and I've called them on it.

I guess I know it's just silly fifth grade boy behavior, but I am sick of it! I really don't know what to do; I've never been treated so badly by a group of 10 year olds in my life! The parents (of course!) don't believe me when I tell them their little darlings are being disrespectful and the P thinks I'm imagining it. (She has a history of ignoring problems and siding with parents and students over teachers.)

Is this what kids are becoming? Yuck! Is it Christmas break yet!??!

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Dec 5, 2009

I'll admit, when I have the kids that openly mock me it cheeses me off. Some of them do it just to get a rise out of you, and the bigger the reaction you give them the worse it gets.

Is there any way you can talk to these guys quietly one on one without the rest of the class and their buddies around?

Best of luck to you, I know how irritating that can be!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2009

Wow Lynn. I'm so sorry that this is happening. Honestly, as horrible as it may be, it might be time to ask the Principal to come in and observe them. Or-- perhaps have a colleague come in so that you can collaborate with someone on this. What kinds of consequences do you have to work with? Also- in order to get the kids on board, I take a piece of paper with times from the beginning of the day to the end of the day and write the child's name at the top. I write the behavior I am looking for there and throughout the day, I am watching 1 student for that behavior. In this case, disrespectful behavior/giggling. Do this for 2 days per kid. It seems cumbersome, but I usually just use a clipboard and a highlighter and make a quick highlighter mark on this. After those days, it is very easy to see how many times these target behaviors are happening and it is GREAT documentation to show the parents and your principal. You can sit down with the parent and say, this is happening ____ times a day etc. It is also helpful to be able to see if there are patterns of times they are happening and then can address just those times to start.
    I am so sorry that you are having a hard year. I am too. One day at a time!! Keep your chin up and definitely look into getting some support with those behaviors!

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2009

Should have said, "The Kids parents on board!" ooops typo!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

Better yet, ask him to stand outside your classroom, out of sight, and listen in. The kids aren't idiots; they're most likely to be on their artificial best behavior for company. He doesn't need to see what's going on to hear it and figure it out.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2009

Agreed Alice!

8. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 5, 2009

I really don't know what to do. I have a student who makes dinosaur-type noises for long periods of time. I agree with alice. Have your principal stand outside to listen. Maybe give these boys jobs when they are doing the right thing?

9. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Dec 5, 2009

Thanks everyone! That's why I love this site!! It's great to know I am not alone; that this happens to others! I love your suggestions - keep them coming!

10. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Dec 5, 2009

Get out a tape recorder. Put it on your desk and explain to the class that this is a very powerful tape recorder that picks up sound from across the classroom. When these boys start to giggle, tell them you will turn it on and record their sounds, then call in their parents and play it back for them.

I guarantee you it will stop them in their tracks. I have used this and found it 100% effective. I never had to record anything. The threat of it did the trick.

It's also very much a psychological thing. Once you show them that you are large and in charge and you mean business, they will settle down.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

I keep an autograph book on my desk. When chilren do anything they're not supposed to they sign their name and write the altercation. It's a shameful thing to have to do. This keeps up with the offenses and parents see they've written their name and confessed to having done the crime. It's great for keeping up with those who miss assignments too.

12. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Dec 6, 2009

Schoolteacher, that is a wonderful idea with the tape recorder. That might work when there is too much talking going on as well. I am having a hard time with children interrupting me during my lesson and blatantly talking during independent practice when they should be working!

13. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Dec 7, 2009

I like the autograph book idea. What grade do you teach? They just write their name and "I did not do my homework" or something along those lines? Does each student have their own page? Or is each day a new page?

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 7, 2009

Set up a camera. I had to video my class for National Boards and I placed a camera in the room. I explained to the kids that it would run some of the time. It wasn't about them, but I would not hesitate to show parents. That really changed some of their behavior. And I did use it with a little boy who lied about a classmate hitting him. He started it, but his mother would never believe that!

15. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 7, 2009

I'm stealing this! Thanks! :)

16. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Dec 7, 2009

I would be REALLY careful about this. Did you get all of the parents to sign a waiver that permits you to do this?

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2009

Love the autograph book idea!

Also, where do the boys sit in relation to each other? Obviously they can see each other if they are rolling their eyes at each other and laughing. Maybe look at your seating arrangement again and move the boys to opposite sides of the room where they can't see each other.

18. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 7, 2009

I use a spiral notebook and date a clean page daily. It's been wonderful for PTC, the record is right there. Kids write "I was talking", "I didn't have my math." It's a shameful experience and makes them stop and think.

19. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 8, 2009

I just had to comment on the dinasour noise thing. Is this student doing it to be disrespectful or do you think they might have issues with social cues? I have a student like this and I ignore it for the most part because he honestly is on his own planet. I am working with him on socially appropriate behaviour.

20. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 8, 2009

Have fellow teachers come in to observe you, either where they are sitting in the room or standing out in the hallway. Don't waste your time with the P if you know she/he is not supportive and don't expect parents to do anything to help you.

I would also, during their recess, sit them down and discuss with them what is going on, how it distracts you from teaching, and if they will not be respectful towards you, they will not be allowed in your classroom. Tell them exactly what you expect from them--- I would also expect them to write me a letter of apology, have them explain what they know they are doing, and have them write out what you expect of them. Keep it for your records.

I also save fun tasks for those students who behave the best--- these boys don't shape up, let them know they won't be able to participate in certain activities. Be careful: they have to still learn, but it doesn't mean they have to come up to the front and help you demo something, etc.

Last year was my first year of teaching and one girl student had the nerve to first write a petition against the HUGE amounts of homework I was giving and then would just sit there, with a huge smile on her face and not answer my questions. This year she's tried being buddy-buddy with me and I was nice to her but still kept myself at a distance--- respect is earned, these boys need to earn yours back.

21. erh3794

erh3794 Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

i really like the tape recorder idea. and the autograph book! :)

22. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Dec 19, 2009

I have also had a class of year 5s this year, with some difficult boys.

I have been using Whole Brain Teaching strategies.

The best one uses the scoreboard. When the kids behave, they get a point for the class. When they misbehave, the teacher gets a point. At the end of the day, if the class has more points, they get a rewards, if the teacher has more points, they get something negative (eg, extra homework) So in essence, by misbehaving, they are working against the class and for you - really helped my class.

Check out the Whole Brain Teaching website (think there is also a link on this site) - it has really worked for me with the difficult boys.

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 19, 2009

I had a co-teacher do the same thing, except it was a security camera. Some how he got ahold of an extra security camera & had put it on top of his cabinets. He told his class (5th graders) that it was recording what was going on in the classroom. The kids believed it & the misbehavior while he was writing on the board stopped.

24. shikshak

shikshak Rookie

Dec 19, 2009

I believe there is some law against video taping or photograping minors without parents' consent. In my class sometimes students whistle. I found that by not making a big deal it goes away. I may at times tell them to stop the whistling out loud, without going on the witch hunt. Or ignoring it sometimes has worked too. But howling or roaring etc. I would have to have some consequences and try to catch the perpetrators.

25. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 19, 2009

I've mentioned this in a couple of threads, but I had one student in particular who literally went out of his way to be disruptive and/or disrespectful towards me in class each day during my student teaching. I tried every method I could think of; ignoring the behavior, writing his name on the board for a behavior check, calling him down, and (eventually) scheduling a conference with the principal.

Towards the end of my internship, this 8th grader actually stuck his tongue out at me as he walked to his mom's car one afternoon. The mom saw him do it and, I suppose, asked why he did it. The kid, of course, said I had been "picking on him" the whole year and being mean to him, so the parents called to request a conference. The mom was somewhat taken aback when I told her I was glad to hear from her because I had been planning to call HER to arrange a conference.

Before going into the meeting (which included the student, other teachers and the principal as well as the parents), I made a list of incidents the boy had done, complete with dates. I kept a daily log on my home computer of what happened in school that day, so when I needed to write down his infractions, I had everything already saved.

Once the parents were presented with a two page list of just SOME of the things their son had been doing and confronted the boy about them, he was forced to admit he had been lying to them about his behavior. To their credit, the parents made the student stand up and apologize to each teacher for his behavior.

One method I tried early on was giving the entire class a "silent lunch" for being disruptive. Even though several students were talking the day I gave the punishment, they all knew the "problem child" was the main reason for the punishment. Once his actions caused them to share some of the punishment, they began getting on to him about his behavior. That might work with the 5th graders in the OP as well.