Need to Vent/Want Feedback

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrs27, Apr 21, 2008.

1. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

I run a 3 day a week 1/2 day program. Today I was observed by one of my college instructors who was very impressed and would like to send students to me to do their student teaching/field experience. I was feeling good about myself and my program. After school I tried again to call a parent of a boy who has not been to school in 2 weeks. I finally got ahold of her and she said she is pulling him out because he did so poorly on the Kindergarten screening and what have I been doing all year ect.. I have 20 students and one aide. I only have these children 6 hours a week. I do all I can! I have had a couple other children score quite low as well however most others have done very well. I feel like a failure or like I am a terrible teacher and at the same time, I know parents should be working with their kids at home--I can not do it all. I am a fairly new teacher trying to build enrollment and am so worried this will hurt my reputation. Any feedback or advice is greatly appriciated!!!

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 21, 2008

:hugs: First, here's a hug. :hugs:

Sometimes parents don't realize that their child's success also depends on them. You have the students for 6 hours per week. That's the equivalent of one full instructional day per week.
    Do you have a list of preferred/required at home activities for parents to complete each week. Maybe a daily suggested activities schedule might help parents see that their child's education is a joint effort. You want them to be part of the team.

4. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 21, 2008

I don't have words of wisdom to offer except that it sounds like you are doing a great job as is evident by the remarks your college instructors gave you. It sounds like a parent who doesn't want to take responsibility for what she should be doing to help her kid. I can tell you from my experiences that there are parents who believe that education is the sole responsibility of the teacher. It may sound unconceivable but believe me I've heard some bizzare stuff -- especially from single parents who are just overwhelmed & are looking to find someone to blame for their problems.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 21, 2008

Don't let the parent get to you. One there could be a delay in the child. Remember not all children learn at the same rate. I would trust the college professor before a parent.

Sometimes children need the gift of time. I have one child that I thought for sure was going to have to stay back in my classroom. This past month he has bloomed! It's amazing. There was nothing I could do until he was ready.

Keep up the good work.

6. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

Thanks!! I needed a hug :)

I do send home weekly activities, ususally on Friday, and it includes sheets to practice writing or tracing letters, counting ect.. I have not required students to bring them back before, but I have always wondered how many actually sit down and do them with their child. We are doing the bookit program from Pizza Hut right now and only half the class (if that) is participating. As a mom, I know my children were ready for K because of me more than because of their preschool.....I guess it is easier to blame me than themselves.

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 21, 2008

I think you've hit the nail on the head there! ;)

You can only do so much with the children in the very small amount of time that you have with them. If that mother were so worried about having her child ready for kindergarten, she has much more time to be working with her child. She needs to live up to her responsibilities as a PARENT!

8. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 21, 2008

We do a screening for K but we aren't looking to see who passes or fails. We are looking for things that the child might need assistance with outside of the regular classroom such as speech or OT/PT. Actually, it is easier for me if everyone starts at pretty much the same level. A child who already knows everything I will teach in K could be bored, could become a bossy know it all this the other children and might become discipline issue.
    We do like for our kids to know colors, shapes, how to write their name, be able to tell us their address and phone number, tying their shoes would be welcome also.
    I don't know what that parent expected but it sounds like you have a wonderful program.

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 21, 2008

You can be the greatest teacher in the world and have the children 40 hours a week, but if they are not developmentally ready for some concepts- they just aren't ready! It's not your fault, it's not the parents' fault. The child does not have a delay. He is just not ready yet.

I have a parent who complained about their last preschool teacher because her son was not ready for Kinder. The boy passed his screening this year. Not because I am any better than the previous teacher, but because he was ready. The parents think I am the greatest thing next to sliced bread. If he did not pass, I would be in the same boat as the previous teacher.

TDevelopmental readiness something a lot parents do not understand, and we as teachers take the brunt of it.

Hang in there. We all have been there or will be there. You are good teacher doing a great job. :hugs:

10. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Apr 21, 2008

I really appriciate all the encouragment and I agree with you. I think these screenings expect alot anyway. Here is a kid that has trouble focusing anyway in a room with other kids and being questioned by an adult he has never met. Then they do things like stop asking letters once they miss three--I had one little girl who got the first 2 letters right and missed the next 3 so they stopped asking her and counted them all wrong. She didn't even get a chance to do the letters in her name. It is so furstrating. I was just so taken aback by this mom and worried that other parents will judge me by her opinion. I need to develop thicker skin I think!!

11. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Apr 21, 2008

I am not a classroom teacher but as a PE teacher I have found it frustrating at times b/c I can who has been worked with at home and who hasn't. I see these kids everyday for 30 minutes and we play the same games over and over, and I have some kids who still have NO CLUE WHAT TO DO. In fact, one of them has a mother who is a elementary school teacher is he is so "out to lunch" it makes me wonder about the involvement she has with him. Tell me what's wrong with that situation?!?!?

You only see them for a few hours a week. A parent who is blaming your for not making huge progress with their child on that time frame is merely trying to shove off their parental responsibilities on you. It can't just be you. They have to working with their kid too.

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Apr 26, 2008

I am a Early Ed teacher, and I own my own program (in home, with license and staff). If there is one thing I have learned about trying to increase enrollment, a parent that feels that way pulls enrollment away when they are present more than they do when they finally leave. When they leave they usually have to hurt you in order to actually make it out the door (sometimes they try several times before they are mad enough to leave-or you are mad enough to send them out). Once they are gone.....only the parents that are the same listen. And then I ask myself....do I really want more of "that parent" anyway?

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2008

Kdg screenings are just that...screenings. They are not college entrance exams. If a child does poorly, it is certainly no reflection on you. We all know that many screenings/tests are not developmentally appropriate anyways. A child may count to 20 in front of you and me, and babble like a 1 yr old in front of strangers. Children are to inconsistent at this age for any data to be reliable. And children are going to react differently in the presence of strangers.

The purpose of kdg screenings in many cases is to justify the need for a sp. ed class, and that teacher! That is the bottom line. They can't have 3 perfect kdg classrooms. We know some will fall thru the cracks. They want to track them and label them early. Remember back in the day when all you had to do was turn five, take a physical and show up?!

I understand as a sp. ed teacher, there are some children with developmental delays.

That has absolutely nothing to do with you.

Carry on.

And keep collecting compliments. Stick them on your wall.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 30, 2008

WaProvider is so right. Having the unhappy clients leave makes life easier on everyone. Our program switched philosphies, and we lost several families. But, we have attracted a wonderful client base--and one that agrees with our style. If is so nice to hear all the compliments from parents each day.

15. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

May 1, 2008

I sent home parent evaluations of the program and have felt much better as they have started coming back in. It seems the parents that left were definately the minority in their opinions. Thanks again for all the support!

16. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

May 1, 2008

Don't require them to send the home activities back in, but ask them to. Set up some kind of reward system...each turned in home activity is worth x amount of points and when they reach a total of x points, the child can draw from a treasure box, etc.

17. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

May 9, 2008

Send a note home in the beginning of the year that lets the parents know what you will be working on. Make sure the letter says something along the lines of, "PreK is about socialization as well as learning. We will learn how to sit down for circle time, go to the table for worktime, line up, and share with friends. We will do all this in addition to learning our ABC's and 123's. That's why we need your help at home, too!"

I send home a weekly activity that is never worksheets or papers. It usually goes along with our course of study but sometimes is just something I know they need to practice. For example, this week it was: "Have your child set the table for dinner. Have him count the spoons, then have him count the forks. Ask how many spoons and forks he has together. Your child just did addition!" I've asked parents to have kids pair socks while folding laundry, look for signs, colors, shapes, or letters while walking, count toys, sing songs in the car or at bathtime, learn to spell their name, and follow 2 or 3 part directions. I think parents will be more likely to do this because it only takes 2 minutes, and you're showing parents how they can be teachers at home.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 9, 2008

A proactive parent would have asked you at the beginning of the year what she could do to help her child do his best. Sounds like he might be a slow learner and needed some extra help at home. I didn't even go to preschool and I was ready for Kindergarten...first one reading too. My mom did it herself. If she just let me watch tv all day I would have been really behind!

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 9, 2008

20. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

May 10, 2008

Great ideas Scarlet! I did that kind of thing with my own kids, but it isn't something I suggested to other parents this year. I will next!! I think I expected most parents already did those things, but I am learning that is not the case and most are probably open to suggestions on what to do. I really appriciate the input.:)